Fridge, freezer or chiller

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
LOML needs to store some things at around 1 deg C. Our old fridge won't get down to that level. I see that some modern fridges have 0 deg C compartments for meat but (a) the amount of storage wouldn't be enough and (b) don't really want to shell out loads of money.

So does anyone know if freezers can be run at this temperature level or do they get unhappy?

Or am I way off the mark and that this is something that only a dedicated unit like a meat chiller will provide.

Many thanks

Roger

We have a newish fridge freezer and the bottom section of the fridge get's down to around 1deg or so. If I put meat in the bottom, it part-freezes (but not completely) so I guess it's around the temp your after - Rob

woodbloke":j7e1znyr said:
We have a newish fridge freezer and the bottom section of the fridge get's down to around 1deg or so. If I put meat in the bottom, it part-freezes (but not completely) so I guess it's around the temp your after - Rob

Thanks for that, Rob. Thing is though she needs the whole volume to be at that temperature.

We have a Hotpoint Aquarius fridge and you can set the whole compartment down to 1 degree. Bought years ago - but I would have thought the current one would do the same.

HIH

Dibs

RogerS":1f45kmzw said:
woodbloke":1f45kmzw said:

Thanks for that, Rob. Thing is though she needs the whole volume to be at that temperature.

Our whole fridge goes down to either +2 or -2 which may be close enough to what you need. It is a no name, so I doubt it was expensive (we bought the house with it in). I havent put a thermometer inside it, but the digital readout offers the option down to this level- i would think that you could adjust the temperature lower by putting an ice pack or two in- would take a long time to melt because it is so well insulated. I know that when we first moved in I put in meat to defrost and 24 hours later it is still pretty solid.

We have two larder fridges a Siemens and a Miele - they both freeze things if accidentally set to the wrong setting!!

Rod

chuck a thermostat in the freezer, but have it switch off instead of on when it gets down to the temp you want.

Used chest freezers should be easy to get cheap

EDIT ... dont be putting mains wiring inside though. ! find someone who can do a 12v system, if you cant do it yourself

I have a freezer BEKO it freezes to -1 and the chiller go to +1 good freezer perfict for what you need
Hope it was a help to you Rob :roll:

furniturefanatic

Back