french cleat

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emlclcy

Established Member
Reaction score
i've just finished a plate rack and want to hang it on the wall using a french cleat.
Would the position of the clear on the back of the plate rack be best at
1. near to top
2.1/4 way down
3. half way down

i'm thinking 3, as if you tug at it there is not the leverage that 1. would have but what are peoples opinions?
regards
carl

Using a kitchen cabinet as an example the hangers are near the top, I would follow this approach, only moving down if there is nothing structural to fix the cleat to. You then need to fix a batten at the bottom of the cabinet the same thickness as the cleat.

if its near the top and you pull the bottom away from the wall there is a lot of leverage to jack to cupboard up and off the cleat, if it was say half way down you would not be able to do this so easily. that is my thinking

Option 1, due to the physics. Consider that any shelf wants to tip forward off the wall, rather then crash vertically down.

Placing the cleat halfway would make the rack top heavy. This would exert a leverage resulting on forces pulling the cleat and wall anchors outwards, rather than downwards.

You want to make sure the anchor is above the centre mass, the more the better. Vernacular plate racks in rural cottages were often hung from two hooks, as rough cottage walls wouldn't hold the weight otherwise.

Option 1, due to the physics. Consider that any shelf wants to tip forward off the wall, rather then crash vertically down.

Placing the cleat halfway would make the rack top heavy. This would exert a leverage resulting on forces pulling the cleat and wall anchors outwards, rather than downwards.

You want to make sure the anchor is above the centre mass, the more the better. Vernacular plate racks in rural cottages were often hung from two hooks, as rough cottage walls wouldn't hold the weight otherwise.
yes like it makes sense

Absolutely #1, within 2 or 3 inches of the top.
Anywhere near the middle or below and it can become top heavy, unstable and you are relying on just a small 45 degree ramp to stop the rack toppling forward.
I have some storage where I've used cleats top and bottom, but that is carrying 50 ish Kg 150mm out from the wall. A plate rack will do fine with one at the top.

Absolutely #1, within 2 or 3 inches of the top.
Anywhere near the middle or below and it can become top heavy, unstable and you are relying on just a small 45 degree ramp to stop the rack toppling forward.
I have some storage where I've used cleats top and bottom, but that is carrying 50 ish Kg 150mm out from the wall. A plate rack will do fine with one at the top.
ok, will do, thanks

The lower your cabinet’s centre of mass compared to the French cleat is, the more the load is pulling the cleat down/tighter. The higher it is the more it is trying to rotate and tear it out the wall.

You’d not put it at the bottom right? That’d be silly. You’d move it up, the further up the better, hence why they are usually at the top.

Back