FREE UKWorkshop wood price calculator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
trevtheturner":3fq4waqo said:
Jeepers! :shock: :shock:
My tape and li'l ol' calculator work every time - specially when I'm looking through stock down at the woodyard! :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Trev

I have written a version for my Pocket PC too which I can take along to the woodyard :lol:

Overkill, I know, but I love programming as relaxation (certainly beats the TV) :wink:

Tony":g2101c9b said:
Windows 95, 98, or Me:
regsvr32 \windows\system\TABCTL32.OCX
You need a "32" after the "system" there. Guess how I found that out... Anyway, I got the wotsit succeeded message, but then when I went to open the program I got:
Class not registered.
You need the following file to be installed on your machine. MSSTDFMT.DLL.
Sigh. So I went and found that and installed it. Then went to find how to get the computer to know it was there ("regsvr32.exe msstdfmt.dll" in Run, fwiw) and guess what?

IT WORKS!!!!! :D

Never mind calculating wood prices; it's introduced me to dark regions of my computer that a Galoot should not wot of. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Can someone tell me, or try to explain to me why it will run on some machines and not others running the same brand?

I get auto XP updates and all that but cannot run Tonys programme, and

Alf what is fwiw ? :shock:

Sawdust

The problem is that I cannot send you an iinstall program at teh minute as my PC won't create them for some reason. If you have downloaded and run the second file (VB Runtime libraries) you should be OK as long as you add the TABCTL32.OCX to your windows/system32 folder

fwiw means for what it's worth

Thank you Tony

I did download the second file and could not get it to run but I will be asking Roger to guide me through the intestines of my machine as i don't like dabbling in there

Cheers

VERSION 2 available here with Chris's suggestions added :wink:

http://www.btinternet.com/~my.webs/Wood_Calculator/Wood_Calculator_2.exe

The changes are as follows:

I added the facility to enter imperial or metric dimension which you select from the drop down menu as you can see here:

click on image for larger view

I added the British Hardwoods price conversion on the CONVERT tab.
http://www.britishhardwoods.co.uk/kiln.html
I used two drop-down lists to select their sizes, the upper drop-down is to select the vertical sizes from the BH table as you can see here

The lower drop-down is to select the horizontal sizes from the BH table (and so contains more entries) as you can see here

To use this convertor, you must first enter the price provided on the BH website in the left hand textbox and then use the two drop-down lists to enter the dimensions*. The price per cu ft will be automatically calculated as soon as all 3 pieces of info are entered.
The long blue button underneath the entry boxes will send the price to the calculator on the other tab as shown below:

As before, any suggestions for improvements or additions are welcome :wink:

* I used the rounded values in the calcs as this is what BH show on their site. e.g. 19mm rather than 19.05. If this is a problem, then let me know and I will change it.

Sawdust Producer":2mn17abs said:
Can someone tell me, or try to explain to me why it will run on some machines and not others running the same brand?

I will try. :D

Tony wrote his program using a version of Micro$oft Visual Basic (VB), most VB programs require a number of the precompiled support files to run. These are all on Tony’s machine and if he could get the install generator to work it would produce a package that contains all of the required files. Lots of software is written in VB, and comes with different mixes of the support files, depends what bits the programmer used as to what is needed. So if you happen to of installed software that needed all of the support files that Tony’s program needs you don't get the error. 8) However if this is not the case up pops the message complaining about something not being there. :(

There now clear as mud. :roll:

waterhead37":3usjn1va said:
Well done Tony!

Second the well done Tony, My VB coding takes more like days/weeks not minutes or hours.

Edit: Snip

Even more embarrassment to find that what I asked for it is already there if I had only looked closer. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Don't smile quite so loudly Tony I'm embarrassed enough. Must read the exam paper! must read the exam paper!! must read the exam paper!!!

Tony - superb effort! One of the many posts I've missed! I have something similiar done on Excel but this is far more slick!
One minor request - on the British Hardwoods conversion, could a price also be worked out for £ per cubic foot based on the rough dimensions - not just the final dimensions? Makes it's easier to compare rough sawn to PAR prices.

As an aside I note that their prices for rough sawn timber have reduced dramatically - more in line with what I pay from Atkins and Cripps. Seems to be a huge surcharge for PAR timber? Eg £45 vs £19! (for 1x6 am wh oak). I think I'll have to continue to plane my own :(.

Cheers

Gidon

Thanks Tony - great tool. I seemed to have missed this first time round.

For info if anyone is still having problems I had to rename my TABCTL32.OCX file before I could load Tony's new one.

Running on Win2000Pro

Andy

Hi Tony - I just wanted to say thank you for making the calculator available. I have a little trouble converting my little blanks into price per cu.ft and had just been quoted (by a well established timber merchant in the Midlands) £70 for a piece of 65mm kd brown oak, 380mm wide and 1100mm long. I was told that the cu ft price for this would be £37.69.

With the help of your program I have found that I am being ripped off let alone the bark. I have checked it manually and confirmed the figures on your program - the price quoted being almost double what it should be. It just goes to show how people take advantage of the gullible.

Many thanks again

Paul :(

I.ve just joined this forum this evening and it looks a good layout

This calculator is one brilliant piece of work, it will save me a headache when I go to buy timber,

Thanks

BTW it works on my PC with XP

Back