FREE UKWorkshop wood price calculator

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

Well, today I was planning some wood purchases for tomorrow and got fed up with working in metric and finding all the prices quoted in cubic feet!!

So, I quickly programmed a little calculator to make my life easier. It simply calculates the price for metric sized wood when one has the price given to you in cubic feet (always is!!!).

I thought it might be useful for others and so I added some error trapping to make it reliable and then added a conversion tab to allow you to convert between metric and imperial sizes and volumes quickly.

Finally, I thought I'd add a copy and paste facility using the Windows Clipboard to allow transfer of data between tabs and other programmes :)

Hope you find it useful :wink:

If anyone likes it and thinks of other useful functionality, then let me know and I'll add it when I get a free moment

Down load it here (44KB download (small)) - simply right click and select "Save Target As...":

http://www.btinternet.com/~my.webs/Wood_Calculator/Wood_Calculator.exe

If it does not run on your PC, then you need to download and run the following file to install the runtime libraries (1MB download) - simply right click and select "Save Target As...":

http://www.btinternet.com/~my.webs/Wood_Calculator/vbrun60-setup.exe

Screen shot of calculator in action

calc1.jpg

Screenshot of conversion in action

calc2.jpg

Fingers crossed, I'll risk it....

Noel":2ffd8s1g said:
Fingers crossed, I'll risk it....

All bug reports gratefully received :lol: :wink:

I have checked it before posting it for you to play with :roll:

Didn't cross enough fingers:

"TABCT232.OCX or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: or file is missing or incorrect"

What gives?

Tony,

Works here - thanks.

A big HOWEVER. I much prefer the imperial measurements for wood pricing and when confronted with metric stuff always want tog o the other way. I usually end up making an Excel spreadsheet for this. Also to convert British Hardwoods price lists to something I understand. They give the costs for a metre run of variously sized stock.

Can you make your program also work backwards please?

Hey Tony, thats neat.

For some strange reason it suddenly made me wonder if you could do something like that with Google - I know you can put in, say,
7 metres per minute in feet per second
& it performs the conversion for you (instead of searching the web for the words as search terms) giving
7 (meters per minute) = 0.382764654 feet per second

I was somewhat staggered to see that you could enter :-
1000mm x 125mm x 25.4mm in cubic feet & get back
(1 000 mm) x (125 mm) x (25.4 mm) = 0.112124067 cubic feet

& even, following your example further, with the pricing :-
25 x 1000mm x 125mm x 25.4mm in cubic feet & get back
25 x (1 000 mm) x (125 mm) x (25.4 mm) = 2.80310167 cubic feet

Not quite as intuitive or handy as your app, but pretty useful for the odd quick conversion if you can get online quickly.

Hope this might be of use to some of you.

Richard

That's really nifty, Tony. Thanks for making it available to all of us.

Gill

The help desk is useless, can I have my money back....?

Hi Tony
downloaded your wood price calculator and the vbrun60.exe. still getting the error the others are getting
"TABCT232.OCX or one of it's dependencies not correctly registered: or file is missing or incorrect"
I am running windows 2000.

Seems like a good idea I'm just sorry it wouldn't work for me.

Cheers
Drew

Tony

Nice idea.

I'm running XP pro and have the same TABCTL32.OCX problem. Curiously, a Google search for this OCX reveals nothing.

Wonder what version of Vb are you using? Building the runtime asks me to instal grpconv.exe as a startup item. This was used a long time ago as part of the conversion from Windows 3.1 to 95 ! I did execute it but it did not instal any program. Sorry.

Perhaps it's time to upgrade from Windows 3.1 maybe :wink:

Roger

Spot on, Chris

For anyone with XP this is the best link

http://www.ascentive.com/support/new/su ... BCTL32.OCX

There is a link to download the OCX if you haven't got it. I didn't and so downloaded it and put it in the Windows/System32/ folder.

I had to add c: before the /windows in the XP command line that the above site gave before it would work.

usual caveats - if you're not sure what you're doing, don't!

Cheers Roger

Thanks all

The problem is due to the TAB custom control I used to allow switching between calculator and conversion format. As I did not create a setup file and all the associated stuff but gave you the .exe, you might need to add the TABCTL32.OCX file to your Windows/system32 folder.

You can download the file from my website here and copy to your system32 folder

http://www.btinternet.com/~my.webs/Wood_Calculator/TABCTL32.OCX

To register it, do the following. Using your mouse, click on the "Start" button and then click on "Run".

According to your Operating System, type the following command to register this library file:

Windows 95, 98, or Me:
regsvr32 \windows\system\TABCTL32.OCX

Windows NT or 2000:
regsvr32 \WINNT\system32\TABCTL32.OCX

Windows XP:
regsvr32 \windows\system32\TABCTL32.OCX

You should see a message saying "DllRegisterServer ... succeeded"

For those that asked, I wrote it in VB6 as the PC I use at work does not have VB.NET on it at present

Chris, I'll add the imperial option over the weekend if time permits.

Can you tell me a bit more about
Also to convert British Hardwoods price lists to something I understand. They give the costs for a metre run of variously sized stock.
and I may be able to incorporate something for that too

cheers

The support team :wink:

Jeepers! :shock: :shock:
My tape and li'l ol' calculator work every time - specially when I'm looking through stock down at the woodyard! :wink:

Cheers,

Trev.

Back