Free Timber

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I just happened to be out in the New Forest at the weekend with my boy (4yrs) generally running around getting muddy when I saw some birch logs lying on the ground. These werent stacked logs that were waiting to be used, there were a few 4 to 6 feet lengths about 10 inches in diameter. Does anyone know whether you are allowed to take these "waste" logs away to use?

Rgds

Saint

The problem is that they may not be waste logs depending on who has stewardship, for want of a better word, of the forest. If, for example it was my woodland while I would open it to the public I might take a very dim view of you lot pinching my timber. :)
Cheers Mike

There is always timber stacked up around the Forest. We are lucky though as my brother works for the Forestry Commision and gets big lumps of various wood for my dad to turn.

There may be a good reason for just leaving them on the ground to rot. I know that around here therer are concerns that because we do not tend to leave much deadwood the assortment of creatures which rely on it for their existence can become soemwhat threatened. Certainly our local biodiversity action plan notes something along these lines. :D

If I take any wood in such a situation it is normally one where there is at least still plently of wood left. I tend to make the assumption that nobody else is going to come along later with the same idea as me and make the remaining wood pile smaller still. :shock:

Cheers,

Dod

Back