Free lathe anyone?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oakbear

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

As you may know i'm getting a shiny new lathe next week, and having just cleared out my workshop, realised that will mean 2 too many!

I guess i could flog them, but they're not worth a great deal, and so many kind folks have helped me out i thought i could maybe pass the favour on.

So.....Free lathe number 1!

It's an old Arundel J4 mk2 (more details here http://www.lathes.co.uk/arundel/, but not in the same condition!). I paid £120, but frankly was fleeced!

We have 9" max diameter over the bed, with an outboard attachment making it around 14" max.
The bed is 40" long, and headstock and tailstock are nice and neatly aligned.
The thread size is handily BSP :roll: , and it's 2MT.
The motor is a replacement, not sure of HP, but i've never had an issue with it.

To be honest there's a few issues with it, but it runs and has done me well for the past year.
It's missing the belt housing and motor stand (but runs fine without this), and would need bench mounting.
It has a wooden base for the motor to enable the belt to be changed, and with a bit of positioning and adjustment, drives the belt fine with a range of speeds.
The screw to release the arbour to change belt is stuck fast, and i started to bore it, but bottled it! Again still run fine though.
It's seen better days, but with some tlc and service is a corking deal for the price!

Piccies....
DSCF0031.jpg

DSCF0032.jpg

DSCF0033.jpg

Box of bits included another toolrest, outboard assembly, steady, dead centre, and on the lathe 2 faceplates and 4 prong drive centre.

I'd like this to go to someone who'll repair and use it ideally, rather than nick the motor and sell it for scrap! :D

Second free lathe...

A Nordstrum (no me neither :? ) generic cheapy lathe. Cost me the princely sum of £24 from an auction!
Never going to win any prizes, but nearly new, and it got me started.

It does 12" over the bed, and around 24" between centres.
5 speed with easily changable belt system, not sure of hp, probably 1/2.
It's 1 MT, and amusingly has a 3/4"x8tpi thread (the only company to make a chuck for this are Vicmarc, which costs 10 times what i paid for the lathe!).
Has a revolving centre with no morse taper on the tailstock!
Comes with a faceplate and 4 point drive.
The plastic handles to advance the tailstock and tighten the banjo have broken off, but a spanner works fine.
It works surprisingly well as i recall, but obviously has it's limitations!

Here's the beauty!
DSCF0035.jpg

So if anyone wants one of them, please PM.

Collection from the Nottingham area (can't really be pineappled trying to post them, they're pretty hefty!)

I have to echo George. Either lathe would be enough to get a newbie onto the slope when they perhaps couldn't afford otherwise to start. Brilliant way to start the New Year.

Pete

jlawrence":3bbejp1o said:

Not to me!

But please do, the Arundel is still available...

George and Pete, thanks for the kind words.
It's a small way to try and repay the generousity that helped me onto the slope! (George, that definately includes your good self!).

Anyway, one lathe left at present....

Thats really generous Oakbear - Blister was kind enough to donate an Arundel to my daughter, now all three of my children come down into the
cellar to try there hand.

Its a nice little lathe and in some ways better then my coronet no1.

Best Regards

Matthew

Agree, thats a great gesture Oakbear ... nice one !
In a world where there is so much to be annoyed & depressed about, this place always has these little 'oasis' of the decency that still prevail in people. Nice one man... thats brilliant 8)

Thanks guys! :oops:

Anyway it looks like these are now both taken.

Sorry to those i have disappointed! :(
(jlawrence - sorry i didn't get a pm, so have offered it to those who did. Apologies for this, it wasn't meant to be i guess!)

No worries - as you say it obviously wasn't meant to be.

perhaps I clicked preview on the pm rather than submit - or something daft like that. Never mind. 40" would likely have been overkill for anything I'd need it for anyway.
Will be posting in this section soon for some ideas on what sort of kit I actually need.

I would like to give a big thank you to Ryan for the lathe and hospitalit, my grandson is over the moon with it
thank you

Latest posts

Back