Free anti virus

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr T

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

My Norton subscription is due soon and I was thinking of changing to a free antivirus software. Does anyone have experience of this and can recommend one?

Thanks

Chris

This has come up a few times.

I have been using AVG for some time and have no complaints. I haven't used any of the other free ones, though.

Dave

FWIW I used to use Norton but recently changed to Microsoft Live OneCare which I find much less intrusive than some of the other programs. They currently charge for it but I understand that they are planning to make it available for free in a few months time so might be worth considering then.

You can have it set up on a number of networked computers and monitor what they call the Circle from a single machine.

Works for me,

regards

Brian

most people probably have AVG. very good it is but when it updated to version 8 it slowed my machine massively so i got rid and got AVAST.

very good updates almost daily and not had any probs etc...
only set the alarm bells off once when a downloaded a program and it didn't like the .exe (which was the install prog) banner popped up saying i had 45secs to save any work before it was gonna be delt with and the pc restarted etc...

I used Norton for 2 years but stopped 18 months ago as I was convinced it was slowing me down.
I switched to AVG and have used it ever since. I found that the latest level did slow things down but that is because it contains several modules and by default they all run e.g. AV, Anti Spyware, Email Scanner, Link Scanner and Resident Shield.

I have now switched all these off except AV (I have other Spyware software) and it runs very unobtrusively and I'm happy with it. I'd also add that I've had no virus attacks since switching to AVG.

David

yo_chuci":2puaioz7 said:
I got AVAST.

very good updates almost daily and not had any probs etc...
only set the alarm bells off once when a downloaded a program and it didn't like the .exe (which was the install prog) banner popped up saying i had 45secs to save any work before it was gonna be delt with and the pc restarted etc...

Yes I got to agree, it does the same sort of warning pop up if your googleing around web sites that may have nasties hidden in them.

yo_chuci":39ivc2o9 said:
....... banner popped up saying i had 45secs to save any work before it was gonna be delt with and the pc restarted etc...

Why I went Mac. Can't understand anyone using a PC unless they really really really have to. So much hassle. Life's too short.

RogerS":141lzvtp said:
yo_chuci":141lzvtp said:
....... banner popped up saying i had 45secs to save any work before it was gonna be delt with and the pc restarted etc...

Why I went Mac. Can't understand anyone using a PC unless they really really really have to. So much hassle. Life's too short.

Me and the wife were in one of the well known electrical outlets the other day as she was buying a new notebook for herself , i stopped and had a look at the huge Mac stand i was very impressed as its the first time ive seen them on display in there own area , the sales guy didnt encourage me to buy one which i think was a shame because i was very tempted and he wouldnt have had to give the hard sell to make me get the wallet out :roll:
I may look a little more into them when i have a spare moment :wink:

eggflan":17u0io9w said:
RogerS":17u0io9w said:
yo_chuci":17u0io9w said:

Me and the wife were in one of the well known electrical outlets the other day as she was buying a new notebook for herself , i stopped and had a look at the huge Mac stand i was very impressed as its the first time ive seen them on display in there own area , the sales guy didnt encourage me to buy one which i think was a shame because i was very tempted and he wouldnt have had to give the hard sell to make me get the wallet out :roll:
I may look a little more into them when i have a spare moment :wink:

If you do then check out the Apple refurb store....virtually brand new but at reduced prices and comes with the normal warranty.

You could take it back and change it for a Mac :wink:

Another convert from AVG to Avast here been using for about a year now, and no problems at all :D

I used AVG for a long time and changed to Avira to see if would use up less resources, not much in it really. Its probably time I got myself a new PC. Both have daily updates and are free

Avira works well in my PC, no problems so far, 14months and counting . (Used Norton ealier, it's resource hog).

With mac mini haven't bothered with any, no problems so far, 3years 4months and counting.

If you bank with HSBC then don't forget the free McAfee.

I used Norton for many years - very good but I don't like paying for things!! Beware - it is very difficult to remove Norton (completely) from your system - seek advice.

AVG - I used this for a while. Whilst it is good (and free) it is still quite processor intensive and will slow down your machine.

AVAST - this is what I have used for the past year. FREE, efficient and good and the PC works far quicker than it did with AVG.

Chris

virtu":1l11etrp said:
With mac mini haven't bothered with any, no problems so far, 3years 4months and counting.

Excluding those who like tinkering with their PC's and those using s/w that only runs on a PC then I really do struggle to understand why anyone would buy a PC over a Mac.

True - PC's may be a bit cheaper (and I don't really want to go down that debate route as it all depends on exact spec etc) to buy initially but when you factor in the included software and the Total Cost of Ownership...by which I mean the time you spend faffing about and worrying about viruses etc ...well, life's too short, isn't it?

Think of how much more time you'd have for woodworking :wink:

EDIT: I understand that PCs are very good for games. Perhaps that explains it ?

I have used Avast! for the last 5 years which is free for non commercial use. With out doubt the best Anti Virus I've used. Fast, non intrusive unlike most of the other stuff. I must admit that I'm so pleased with it that I've almost registered for commercial use. Almost!
Hope this is useful.
Jim :)

Careful Roger, your slip is showing! :whistle:

I use AVG now.

I used to use Norton and then it wouldn't work with AOL so I switched to McAfee.

Then I got the free laptop with AOL broadband. The laptop came with MS Vista and AOL and McAfee. McAfee loaded fine as a free one month trial and worked with AOL so after a month I paid the subscription. The full version of McAfee didn't work with Vista! I also couldn't transfer the subscription to my MS XP desktop. That was a waste of £50+ that I couldn't get back.

In the end I formatted the laptop to remove AOL and installed AVG. I had to install the AOL on my desktop to get the broadband working and then I just used my laptop's browser to access my mail at the AOL website.

I now have Firefox as the browser with Safari as a back up browser and AVG 8.5. I also use Windows firewall and defender and have my internet options locked down tight.

For extra security I store no data on my laptop. I keep everything on two back up external hard drives and regularly format and reinstall Vista and start from scratch with the lap top. It clears out all the bloatware and removes anything I don't need or use much.

Back