Frame Saw WIP...now DUN

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodbloke

Established Member
Reaction score
Having now been able to see Mick's frame saw, this is how far I've got with mine, based on the Continental designs as seen on the Dick site. By making it accurately to the sizes given on that site I ought to be able to fit a Jap turbo cut blade to this saw if I need to. I've chosen ash for the main load bearing frame as there's a hell of a lot of tension in the frame when it's under stress. Here's the mortises being cut and you can see the two blocks for the handles as well as the Dragon saw blades. Centre stretcher will be under compression so it's made from a bit of mahogany. The small square block is a bit of Waka rosewood that'll be used to form a large loose tenon at one end...in fact both m/t's are loose as they have to pivot when the pressure is wound on:

small2-2.jpg

The next shot shows the hardboard template:

templatesmall5.jpg

and the French curves used to get a nice smooth flowing shape. This next shot:

small1-2.jpg

shows both ends marked out from the template and partially cut on the bandsaw with this pic:

small4-1.jpg

showing a little bit of shaping with LV 'shaves, rasp and cabinet scraper. The final shot shows how far I've got with this project:

small3-2.jpg

In the background you can see the four end frames for the cherry table which have got to have the ebony inlay put in this weekend - Rob

Agree, looks good Rob. Now, it's either force of habit or this project is destined to appear in a magazine publication in the near future. I recognise the artful placement of essential marking equipment and "accidental" tool gloatage from previous publications :wink:

Ironballs":28otpjzs said:
Agree, looks good Rob. Now, it's either force of habit or this project is destined to appear in a magazine publication in the near future. I recognise the artful placement of essential marking equipment and "accidental" tool gloatage from previous publications :wink:
:oops: ...note also that the pics are much better I think as I've started to get the hang of this photography lark. A pair of site lights on an adjustable stand were used and they were placed very close to the 'shop ceiling and the light bounced off so as to give a very muted shadow effect.
This little project, although quite easy to do, does need a bit of careful thought and setting out, particulary working out the right distance for the centre stretcher...I did this by making a full sized drawing on my whiteboard. Handles are next, turned on the lathe and after that it's the blade plates that secure the sawblade to the handles - Rob

Nice one Rob.

My little 12" bladed one seems quite big in use (I managed to get some NOS blades for it) so it will be interesting to see how it "handles" in use?
I know that Dick sell them up to 700mm blade length.

Rod

Here's a little project finished that didn't make it through the bandsaw :) I've just got this one completed and after testing it does work very well:

finishedsawsmall.jpg

Here's a detail shot of the one of the ends;

enddetailsmall-1.jpg

and the handle detai:

handledetailsmall.jpg

showing the blade carrier plate (made from an old scraper blade) and the pins (4mm silver steel) - Rob

Rob,

Nice saw, but could you explain why you hava a large loose tennon on one end of the stretcher. I'd have thought that a standard tennon with slightly radiused shoulders would do the same job.

I've been meaning to have a go at making a frame saw for years, but never found the appropriate round tuit.

Cheers

Aled

I really don't understand, where does it plug in? Is must be battery Powered, Ni-Cam or Li-ion?

But for serisouslys, whats a frame saw for?

Aled Dafis":1bey1tjl said:
Rob,

Nice saw, but could you explain why you hava a large loose tennon on one end of the stretcher. I'd have thought that a standard tennon with slightly radiused shoulders would do the same job.

I've been meaning to have a go at making a frame saw for years, but never found the appropriate round tuit.

Cheers

Aled
The large loose tenon at one end is supposed to stop the frame from racking. If you look at the Rutlands site you can see that their saws incorporate this feature. The shoulders have also been rounded slightly on this saw as well - Rob

Latest posts

Back