Fox benchtop morticer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jim,

Tried PTFE and a few other friendly lubricants but found it made little difference. But worth a try anyway.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Jim,

You're the second person I know of who wasn't impressed with the manual. A guy on the Rutlands site said it looks like it was translated from Tiawanese into English by a Frenchman!
The manual I got with mine was pretty good, and had a special section explaining the gas strut position. Interestingly, mine was new stock just in the country (I waited ages for it from Rutlands) - I wonder if they've re-written it? I didn't find the chisel noise a problem - the bit was clear and cutting well, so I was happy.
The chisel lock thought is a good one. It's the one thing the machine lacks - but then at this price, who's complaining?

Steve

Yup I got 4 chisels free - free of any decent steel, free of a workable edge, free of any acceptable manufacturing tolerances.

I think that had GOT to be the quote of the week!

Thanks for the advice Noely - especially the diamond cones wheeze. I'll be giving that a try!

Steve

Steve,

I couldn't find diamond cones in the Uk that matched the internal chisel angles. had to get them from www.leevalley.com but are well worth it.

Rgds

Noel

Chisel noise is not a problem, I was really just emphasising how quiet the motor runs, but then it is an induction motor so it should.
Shame I can`t use the chisels I have been using in the drill press with attachment as I had to cut then down to fit and now they are to short for the Fox, but have been meaning to treat myself to a good set anyway and now I have a dedicated machine and a drill press just for drilling (nice) I might just order some.
Any reccommendations?

Hi Steve,
Can you use this Fox morticer as a bench drill? if so i'll be having one from Tool-net for £147.00 inc vat.

Best wishes
Mike.

Wotcha Mike,

Theoretically yes I 'spose, but you'd need a set of very long drill bits!
Seriously - the answer is 'fraid not!

Steve

I have just bought the Fox 5/8” Morticer, I don’t have it yet though. But it says on Rutland’s that it comes with ¼, 5/16, 3/8 and a 5/8” chisels, but someone on the Rutland’s review said they are metric chisels!
Thing is how do you sharpen them? Because Rutland’s only do sharpeners for imperial chisels and I also don’t know whether they are Jap or English pattern chisels, even though the place of origin suggests they will be Jap ones. I would not know what the differences were anyway!
All very confusing and I don’t know whether sharpening cones are available for the ones that come with the Fox.

The 'free chisels' are all the same - total c**p!. I bought a mortiser from the now defunct Woodcut Trading Company. It was the same model as the CM1903 sold by Axminster i.e. cast iron pillar/dovetail slide. £180 inc 10 chisels. Nice machine but awful mortices!.

I invested in some Japanese chisels from Axminster. I bored out the bronze bush from 3/4" to 13/16" and wow! what a transformation to my morticing!.

My advice to anyone considering a deal with 'free'chisels - ignore it and factor in an extra £75 or so for a set of quality chisels - they're worth every penny.

Sorry Digizz,

On second thoughts maybe ignore that as I'd thought you were referring to my post.

Yes - soory, should have made that clearer - the Fox 3/8" morticer for £99 :)

Just about to get one and some good chisels.

Unless I'm hopelessly mistaken, and bearing in mind I haven't read all the thread to check, isn't this a case of apples and oranges? It's the Fox 1/2" morticer for just under a 100 squids, not the above reviewed 5/8" one. Just in case anyone was confused... (like me f'rinstance :roll: )

Cheers, Alf

Latest posts

Back