found at local tip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not sure that folk here are ganging up on you. It is quite clear that you acted responsibly, but the discussion has, as is often the case on internet forums, diverged a little and opened into a wider debate. Try not to get so easily offended, I dont think anyone means any harm.

Cheers,
Adam,

Kalimna":1fpha8ux said:
Im not sure that folk here are ganging up on you. It is quite clear that you acted responsibly, but the discussion has, as is often the case on internet forums, diverged a little and opened into a wider debate. Try not to get so easily offended, I dont think anyone means any harm.

Cheers,
Adam,
Thanks Adam :eek:ccasion5:

The throwaway mentality of today is a dead end. Sooner or later we all must learn what real recykling is.
=D>

To the OP ; you did nothing wrong at all in my book. And, I don't think anyone else is suggesting you did. As Adam rightly says - it has become a bit of a discussion on the merits of recycling, or more so the techniques perhaps.
Surely to leave something to rot/rust/decompose and then go out and purchase a new model, thus encouraging all sorts of waste, pollution and so on is rather, well, unconstructive? And I know for a fact that many (all in my area) recycling centres do NOT recycle in the sense I understand it; ALL the metal at least is shipped overseas. Thus pollution etc etc. Surely the best recycling is as the OP found; he wanted the planes so he took them, ultimately from someone who no longer required them, presumably from a local site thus negating the need for further travel, ergo he did not need to buy them. Seems morally correct to me. How can anyone disagree with this?

As I said, a little common sense? I attended our tip (recycling centre) last month with a car full of carefully sorted out electrical goods, all working, and proposed to the fella there that they could be sold on/donated/whatever rather than scrapped. I was told it all goes in the same 'pot'.

My daughter is 5. I worry about what lies ahead for her. We have to start somewhere and common sense seems like as good a place as any. I am not a saint by any means. Nor do I pretend to be smart. But I am no fool. And I know we cannot carry on like this....

Neil

neilyweely":xu6g02vh said:
The throwaway mentality of today is a dead end. Sooner or later we all must learn what real recykling is.

As I said, a little common sense? I attended our tip (recycling centre) last month with a car full of carefully sorted out electrical goods, all working, and proposed to the fella there that they could be sold on/donated/whatever rather than scrapped. I was told it all goes in the same 'pot'.

Neil

I'm amazed that no one has mentioned Freecycle yet. Bung your stuff on there and someone will want it and come & get it, no matter what it is. I haven't been to the tip in years, even got rid of a manky old carpet that someone wanted for their allotment. So next time Neil just sort it out & wait for it to be collected.

Can work the other way too, I placed a wanted post for a vacuum pump for veneering. Incredibly someone had a Leybold Minni they no longer needed. :D Same as

http://www.oerlikon.com/leyboldvacuum/p ... 10_10_0_10

Freecycle is great! Use it all the time. Managed to get some mineral oil, a shower curtain (for a veneer vac bag) and a baby bottle warmer (glue pot) for veneer glue. And the stuff we have gotten rid of too. Trouble was on this occasion we had a veritable pile of electrickery; old tellys, hifi's and heaters and it needed moving sharpish. I was under the impression a recycling centre would do just that. But alas, no. Twas not to be.
Learning curve and all that.

Best wishes all

Neil

Dick I am afraid you are mainly wrong Granted a lot of scrap goes to China but comes back as some of the tools and other goods you buy. Your paper goes to shotton North Wales and is turned back into the newspapers your read, the alumimum goes to Warrington to be turned back into aluminium ingots, your plastic bottles go to St Helens to make drainage pipes. If you read your Council's web site you would find out where it goes. We do have a number of reuse centres in outrCA sites (know know as Household waste and Recycling Centres) Governments like changing names. You can take anyhting in the reuse container you can find a use for. Electrical goods unfortunately are governed by different legislation so you cant take them.

Kalimna":pon3ubeg said:

Cheers,
Adam,

+1

Nobody can ever be criticised for asking and it's only wrong if permission is refused and then the stuff still taken.
for the record, I'd do exactly what you did and be delighted to get some free tools that can be put back into service.

An example of when just asking pays off:
I regularly have a skip in the drive and was plagued by scrap men coming on to my property and climbering around in the skip searching for metal. I sent them off with a flea in their ear but one day a new guy knocked on the door and asked my permission to retrieve the scrap that was in plain view. he gave me his telephone numbers and sends me a text a couple of days before he's in the area so i put the metal out. my neighbours now do the same and I've put him in touch with other people. I take no money as he's doing me a service but of course he's making a profit. Since then no other scrappies visit so maybe word gets around.
And all for the sake of a few polite words.

perhaps better the devil you know in this case :wink:

Bob

I'd like to echo the comments made by others about freecycle. Do a web search and you'll find your local group. It's amazing what you'll see advertised. And to those of you who keep 'bits and bobs' that you know you'll probably never use, then there's usually someone who'll be glad of them. You'll be doing them a favour while clearing out your unwanted bits and they'll collect them from you free of charge. The main objective is to keep things out of landfill. That has to be a good thing.

K

There are some examples of a more sensible attitude being taken to old household and electrical items that can still be used.
I came across "Bright Sparks"recently - a scheme in Islington which collects old electrical goods, checks them, repairs them if needed and then sells them at low cost.

Other parts of the country may well have something similar, covering furniture and electricals. In Bristol we have the Sofa project - which stands for 'shifting old furniture about'.

Emmausis an international charity doing much the same thing to help vulnerable and homeless people.

jack55":2dg6ivym said:
Dick I am afraid you are mainly wrong Granted a lot of scrap goes to China but comes back as some of the tools and other goods you buy. Your paper goes to shotton North Wales and is turned back into the newspapers your read, the alumimum goes to Warrington to be turned back into aluminium ingots, your plastic bottles go to St Helens to make drainage pipes. If you read your Council's web site you would find out where it goes. We do have a number of reuse centres in outrCA sites (know know as Household waste and Recycling Centres) Governments like changing names. You can take anyhting in the reuse container you can find a use for. Electrical goods unfortunately are governed by different legislation so you cant take them.

(The situation I was referring to was not actually Aberdeen City or Shire, but what occurred in Newport Pagnell, before we moved up here.)

Delighted that Aberdeen/shire is doing so well. Still quibble with one statement though - stuff going to China. While some of it comes back as finished goods to the UK, that's not entirely a boon (think of lost jobs in the UK, and the general encouragement to wasteful consumption of cheap stuff which then goes to clog up Thainstone car boot sale.)(I'd challenge even Jimi to find useful stuff there :) ). In addition, an old colleague has been researching some of the "reclamation" practices in China, which are horrific in terms of the human cost involved. And even when it's been reclaimed, the conditions under which they make the stuff we buy back are often pretty horrendous.
Haven't seen a "reuse" container in Inverurie or Ellon - they must be well concealed, so recycling seems to be preferred to reuse.
The legislative control over electricals is possibly necessary, but that was one area where Newport Pagnell used to be really excellent. They had a guy on site who PAT tested stuff and it was then offered for sale - our £5 Sebo vacuum cleaner is still going strong. Product liability is a double-edged sword.

Bluekingfisher":3qdu5bzq said:
Has anybody actually answered the poor guys question???? Jeeez!

:lol: :lol: I don't think the OP asked a question :lol: :lol:
He just posted that he'd found and restored a couple of planes and there followed healthy debate.

Bob

A few years ago one of my sons found a hegner at his local tip, it now sits in my shed, loverly jubbly!

ps I didn't think it was a debate until Jacob joins in or am I wrong.

My thanks to phil.p for the message about freecycle and crooks. The idea of crooks using it as an excuse to case your house never occurred to me.

K

graduate_owner":n4s61u61 said:
My thanks to phil.p for the message about freecycle and crooks. The idea of crooks using it as an excuse to case your house never occurred to me. K

I don't use it for exactly that reason after being told by a senior policeman mate that it is not uncommon . Just takes a few theiving b******s to spoil a very good idea :roll:

Bob

Just been notified of an interesting document from WRAP (Waste Recycling group), their recommendations to Government:-

WRAP – Household Waste Recycling Centre (HWRC) Guidance – October 2012

it's available athttp://www.wrap.org.uk/sites/files/wrap/INH0449_HWRC_Guide_ final.pdf

An interesting quote from it:-

Evidence and recommendations
Well-managed re-use systems are known to have a positive effect on HWRC recycling rates.

Seems basically to be saying what a lot of contributors here have noted.

Back