found at local tip

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmab9

Established Member
Reaction score
Went to our local tip the other day and was offloading some junk and found 2 planes one a Stanley No 4 Bailey and other a Record No4 both had a little rust and one had the handle split so I took both apart and cleaned off the rust and cleaned up the planes in general I have now got to good working planes took about 2 hours to sharpen the blades Pic's to follow

This is my first post to this forum and hopefully not my last.

It is however a subject I can contribute a little knowledge to - my brother manages the recycling centres operated by the local council. Often the centres are not run by council employees but are contracted out to other organisations. The terms of the deal are that the sub-contract company, in addition to disposing of recyclable waste, are entitled to send to auction any items that still have value. Therefore taking anything from the recycling centre that could be auctioned does count as theft from the sub-contract company. If you take it to it's (extreme) logical conclusion and more and more stuff is taken from the recycle centres, the sub-contract company won't make as much money, they'll increase the bids next time the contracts are offered by the councils, and your council tax will go up as a result.

Dan

Remove as much as you can and do with it whatever you want, from your local tip. Take no notice of those who gnash their teeth in envy. There's far too much of that going on. Tips are tips. Places where people tip things. Unwanted things. If you can make use of them, do so. The fiscal arrangements between operators and councils shouldn't concern you, they must adjust their relationships to suit us, the
council tax payer. . Remove your neighbours cast-offs at will. It will save if you help in the disposal, not cost more.

phil.p":1cxdz9hc said:
If you took them from our tip (sorry, recycling centre), you'd be accused of theft.
It is however a subject I can contribute a little knowledge to - my brother manages the recycling centres operated by the local council. Often the centres are not run by council employees but are contracted out to other organisations. The terms of the deal are that the sub-contract company, in addition to disposing of recyclable waste, are entitled to send to auction any items that still have value. Therefore taking anything from the recycling centre that could be auctioned does count as theft from the sub-contract company. If you take it to it's (extreme) logical conclusion and more and more stuff is taken from the recycle centres, the sub-contract company won't make as much money, they'll increase the bids next time the contracts are offered by the councils, and your council tax will go up as a result.
Ok guys I did ask for them and the chap on duty said help your self

sloper":xmefemm3 said:
Remove as much as you can and do with it whatever you want, from your local tip. Take no notice of those who gnash their teeth in envy. There's far too much of that going on. Tips are tips. Places where people tip things. Unwanted things. If you can make use of them, do so. The fiscal arrangements between operators and councils shouldn't concern you, they must adjust their relationships to suit us, the
council tax payer. . Remove your neighbours cast-offs at will. It will save if you help in the disposal, not cost more.
=D>thanks 8)

No envy here, I wouldn't know how to use those planes if someone gifted them to me.

My post was just to inform you of the arrangements between some councils and their recycling services; you don't need to concern yourself with their arrangements but if you think they will adjust them to suit you then you are likely to be disappointed. They will either increase your council tax or more likely they will reduce the opening hours of the recycle centres.

And to mmab9, you can applaud the comments made by sloper all you like but the world works according to economics and, as admirably principled as the comments are, they are I'm afraid in denial of reality - these are not freecycling centres as much as you would wish them to be.

Perhaps, then, if these subcontractors are making money out of our waste, then they should be paying us to take it off of our hands. I dont recall ever getting a receipt or contract when leaving rubbish behind.
The economics of reality they may be, but being paid by the council to literaly do the councils dirty work and then making more money off the stuff we have, as taxpayers, disposed of seems a little morally ambiguous at best.
However, thank you for informing us 'from the other side'.
Cheers,
Adam

This whole business with "recycling" really makes me livid. We have Government agencies recommending that we should follow the waste hierarchy of "reduce, reuse, recycle", and other government agencies kow-towing to commercial interest running tips (or "civic amenity sites" as it seems we must call them) and preventing re-cycling.
This was all illustrated very graphically by the site in Newport Pagnell - it started off as a council site, where anything useful that you spotted could be reclaimed in exchange for a small donation to the guys on site. Then it became commercial, and the donation got bigger. But even so, the lorry park next door kept up a flourishing trade in re-useable items to Eastern Europe. Then the people running it got scared of product liability, and less and less got recycled. Now, I believe, nothing is recycled except to companies in China, so in practice, most of it goes for scrap overseas to be broken up in appalling conditions.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

MickCheese":36c5xrdg said:
Right. Forget all the tosh about the tip.

Where's the pictures of the planes?

Mick

....yeah, ain't real until we see a picture!

Great steal, I mean find ;-)

The companies who operate the recycling centres have to win the contracts by competitive bids - and part of that bid (which reduces the costs to the Councils) is to allow the successful contractor to sell-on items handed in.

Rod

The comments about the tips and legalities of removing anything without permission are absolutely spot on.

The councils on behalf of the taxpayer, have an obligation to run the tips as cheap as possible and the company who submits the best bid gets the contract.
That can be (or at least used to be) a payment from the contractor to the council or the other way around dependant on the tip facility and location (which determins the type and value of rubbish deposited).
If you want to see where much of this ends up just visit a local boot sale where you'll see the same traders every week.

As well as having the responsibility of keeping the site organised and clean, the contractor is legally entitled to ownership of all items once deposited at the tip and anyone removing them without permission is stealing and committing an offince. The same actually applies to anyone taking anything from a skip without permission whether on it's the street or not..

Bottom line is - ask or you're a thief, doesn't matter how anyone feels about it. Most times you'll get permission if approached in the right manner.

Bob

One of those situations where ethics and economics collide. It would be a rare thing if anyone with authority was ever there to give permission.
It is such a shame when useable and even very desirable tools get recycled when it is only a euphemism for chucked in a scrap bin.

Kalimna":2o1zw1xc said:
Bob - you are unfortnately absolutely correct in your bottom line. Another case of the legal thing and the right thing not necessarily coinciding. Adam
One of those situations where ethics and economics collide. It would be a rare thing if anyone with authority was ever there to give permission.
It is such a shame when useable and even very desirable tools get recycled when it is only a euphemism for chucked in a scrap bin. Regards Tommo
It's the throwaway world we live it unfortunately.
I absolutely HATE throwing things away which might come in useful which is why I rarely go to the tip and why I have so much stuff in boxes "in case it comes in useful". I knbow where everything is - honest. Just takes a while to get to it :wink:

Bob

CynicalFox":3mhqz570 said:
No envy here, I wouldn't know how to use those planes if someone gifted them to me.

My post was just to inform you of the arrangements between some councils and their recycling services; you don't need to concern yourself with their arrangements but if you think they will adjust them to suit you then you are likely to be disappointed. They will either increase your council tax or more likely they will reduce the opening hours of the recycle centres.

And to mmab9, you can applaud the comments made by sloper all you like but the world works according to economics and, as admirably principled as the comments are, they are I'm afraid in denial of reality - these are not free-cycling centres as much as you would wish them to be.

Like I said I did ask the duty manager there And he said to help myself.Sorry to offend anyone but if you don't ask you won't get .I never pinch stuff as I would not like it done to me I always ask so if you went to a re cycle centre and saw £20 note on the floor by one of the containers you would hand it in or if you found a £1 coin in the local supermarket would you give it to the shop because you would or would not be shop lifting

In my experience most people are prepared to compromise their principles when it suits them. I am not making any reference to anyone here, but I do know that seemingly 'straight' folk are quite prepared to accept a 'cheap' camera they've been looking for for a couple of months, even though they have doubts about the provenance of said camera.
It is difficult for me to 'throw stones' as I have picked up dropped pound coins. And worse. Technically this is theft by finding.

I have to use my common sense to discriminate between what is against the law, and what is against my law. Therefore I will continue to pick up the pound coin I find on the floor and it will probly be that same coin that gets dropped into the poppy appeal.

C'mon fellas, surely this is common sense?

Neil

In cases like this I am proud of being a human equipped with at least some common sence.......and legally a thief.

The throwaway mentality of today is a dead end. Sooner or later we all must learn what real recykling is.

This bickering is getting bored now ,Like I said before I was given permission to take them and now I have 2 working planes after cleaning them up and sharpening them.If you don't like what I did tuff

Back