Found an old smoothing plane...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

focusonwood

Established Member
Reaction score
A few weeks ago I found an old coffin shaped smoothing plane in Oxfam;

plane_rule.jpg

I was thinking about using the steel to make a big jointing plane, but after doing some research I think I should probably keep it as it is.

The steel has a James Howarth makers mark, which I think were forged in the 1800's;

plane_steel_makersstamp.jpg

The steel's in reasonable condition so thought it might be usable in a jointer plane;

plane_steel.jpg

But the body is in good condition, and after noticing a tool makers stamp I think it might be worth preserving.

plane_makerstamp.jpg

It's a bit difficult to read in that pic, but it says;

Buck, Son & Windsor
2 Russell Street
Portsmouth

From a bit of Google research, they were making tools from 1887 to 1940;

1887-1888 J.E.Buck, 2 Russell Street
1891 James E Buck & Son, 2 Russell Street
1896-1905 Buck & Son, 2 Russell Street
1911-1934 Buck & Son & Windsor, 2 Russell Street
1937-1940 Buck, Son & Windsor, Russell Street/Commercial Road
1937-1940 Buck, Son & Windsor, 45 South Brighton Street, workshop

I can't find anything later than 1940 - perhaps the workshop was destroyed in a bombing raid.

Based on the stamp, I think the tool was made during the 2nd World War...possibly.

Is there anything I can do to make the base of the body usable?

Anything I can do to restore the steel (it's pitted but in good condition otherwise)?

Thanks all.

Attachments

• plane_rule.jpg
    plane_rule.jpg
    175.1 KB · Views: 1,069
  • plane_steel_makersstamp.jpg
    plane_steel_makersstamp.jpg
    205.4 KB · Views: 1,069
  • plane_steel.jpg
    plane_steel.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 1,069
  • plane_makerstamp.jpg
    plane_makerstamp.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 1,069
There's a crack in the usual place that one finds them on these coffin planes. It's probably best to try and glue that, if only to prevent it getting any worse. My method for repair is to saw down the crack and glue in a suitable veneer. The method cleans out any age old dirt and any oxidised surface. It also means that you don't have to force the crack closed as the veneer acts as a filler.

Once the crack's glued, it could be quite quick to get it working. Sharpen the iron and see the cap-iron fits nicely. Repair any damage to the sole by either a few light passes with another plane, or by rubbing on abrasive paper taped to a flat surface. Assemble, set the cut by gentle tapping on the top of the iron, and gentle taps on the side of the iron if lateral adjustment is needed, seat the wedge with a tap or two, and give it a try - edge of a piece of softwood for starters. If the cut's too deep, try a tap or two on the heel of the plane (mallet's better than hammer for this - saves marking the plane) then seat the wedge again. If the cut's not deep enough, tap on top of iron, then seat the wedge again.

Once you've done, hold the plane with your thumb against the wedge, holding the wedge and iron/cap-iron assembly. Whack the heel of the plane with a mallet, maybe once or twice, and lift out the loosened wedge and irons.

That's about it! It may take a few moments to get the 'feel' of adjusting a woodie if you haven't done it before, but once you've 'got it' you'll find you can be very sensitive in setting depths of cut. Then just enjoy using what can be a very satisfying tool!

Latest posts

Back