Forum Users Hand Planes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Done, List updated at start

09-01-2005.

Adam

Adam,

A very interesting survey which obviously involved a considerable amount of work for yourself. I do like your presentation of the result - excellent. Thanks.

Cheers,

Trev.

Interesting. Looks like I'd better get a couple of block planes and a No. 4 so I don't get laughed at by all the cool kids! :wink:

Nice job on the survey. :)

V.

ok, that must be a sneaky anti-gloat...not only do we have to trawl back to find your entry, but we can't spot the additions! very subtle - all uber-gloaters take note! :D

Adam

A few to add to my list

LN scraper plane, LV large Shoulder plane, LV bullnose plane :lol:

Glotius maximus :wink:

Glotius maximus

only cos there's a no woodies rule...

:p :wink:

<currently working my way thru flattening 50 antique woodies as n when time allows....

moulding planes..

Hi all

As a Newby on this Forum I shall bare my soul and admit that I have far, far more handplanes than I really need, and that the following are the ones I consider essential to my woodworking.

It is probably relevant to know that I mainly work in Australian hardwoods, such as Jarrah and Karri, and these benefit from high angled cutting angles.

Jointing planes:
#7 with Smootcut blade
HNT Gordon Try Plane (sorry, can't get away with just "try plane")

Panel-length planes
vintage (hah!) LA #62
LA 62-1/2
#5-1/2

Smoothing planes
LA Smoother (with 64 degree cutting angle)
HNT Gordon Smoother
#604 (with LN blade/chipbreaker)

Scrapers
vintage #112

Scrub planes (I thickness everything by hand)
ECE scrub

Small block planes
#65 (with Hock blade) LA set up
#18 (with 55 degree cutting angle - used as a mini smoother)
#102 bronze

Plough planes
#044 (my current favourite)

Shoulder planes

Rabbet planes

Beading planes
homemade chamfer plane

Here is a picture of some of my hand planes storage:
http://www.wdynamic.com/galoots/4images ... ge_id=1155

Regards from Perth

Derek

Derek,

Great list and picture. You will soon have enough tools to join the Philly club, meanwhile you can hang out here with the rest of us! :lol:

Ahh Alf

That picture was taken about 12 or so months ago. The planes (and chisels - I really have a chisel problem - they have doubled since then!) just keep multiplying. I have a very understanding wife who just smiles sweetly when the next addition arrives, then goes off and buys another pair of shoes (Imelda Marcos eat your heart out!). I really should look into a 12-Step programme. I'd ask here for help, but -looking over the Lists that preceded mine - it seems as if I'd have a lot of company in therapy!

Regards from Perth

Derek

low angle non-adjustable (apron) block
#5 LA jack
#4 LA smoother
low angle adjustable block
#5 1/4 jack
#7 jointer

note: it's really hard to rank the order of use as they planes get almost equal use. now, if I could rank my favorite planes . . . 8)

Updated. For those who are still adding to the list, please do not mention the brand of plane, ONLY the type, e.g 4.5 smoother. If you have a unique plane this probably isn't the place to mention it - its an average of the common types.

Thanks!

Adam

Mike, while I like subtle gloats, that one's so subtle I can't actually tell what's new...

L-N #5.5
L-N #9.5 (newish)
L-N #60.5

Record #71
Stanley #71

Gunmetal charriot plane

Back