Forstner extension

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil Dyball

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

Just had my first go at some 'deep' hollowing, OK it's only 6" deep but I'm quite happy with it for starters.

I watched the Mick Hanbury DVD's before I 'had a go', which are highly recommended by the way, and he took out the 'slow' middle with a forstner on an extension.

I've got some forstners but need to find a supplier that sells the extension bars. Only place I've managed is Rutlands, and they're currently out of stock.

Anybody bought such a thing recently? Or got one they no longer want?

Any help appreciated.

Cheers,

Neil.

DOH!

I looked on the Axminster site as I've just placed an order, but searched on Forstner not Sawtooth.... lesson learned.

Thanks for the link Paul, that's exactly what I need.

Cheers,

Neil.

Hello Neil,

I used the Axminster extension bit shown in Paul.Js link for many years. They work just great.

I should also mention, do not forget to allow for the tip on the Forstner bit when measuring the depth you're drilling to. I've seen a lot of people measure to the cutting edge.

Cheers
Mike

John,

I'm not wanting to go too much deeper but my existing Forstner only went about 4", so a 6" extension would probably be OK. I doubt any of my tools would get deeper than that.

Elsewhere someone also posted that auger bits are more efficient for this so I'm looking at those as well.

Thanks again,

Neil.

This is the one i used last Friday when George was here.
I bought this from Mike swain (Cutting Crew) so it's been put to good use Mike :D
I must say the saw tooth cutter went through the Beech very easily.
I will get some more of these cutters.

Neil Dyball":3q1banw3 said:
.........Elsewhere someone also posted that auger bits are more efficient for this so I'm looking at those as well.
Neil.

Just be cautious if you try augers, they can grab and try to self feed into the wood dependant on wood type/hardness.

CHJ":3u1s4pbo said:
Neil Dyball":3u1s4pbo said:
.........Elsewhere someone also posted that auger bits are more efficient for this so I'm looking at those as well.
Neil.

Just be cautious if you try augers, they can grab and try to self feed into the wood dependant on wood type/hardness.

They can be dangerous but on the advice of another turner I ground the end bit off and they work very well now without grabbing etc.

john

Hello Neil,
For what you want it for the extension in fine. The reason I asked how deep you wanted to go is because I make 300mm pepper mills and I need to bore very precisely and only augers will do.
Must use them on a pilar drill though, otherwise they wander.
I've made a jig to help boring long holes.Pic below.
Longholeboringjig3.jpg

Latest posts

Back