Forstner bits

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Democritus

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Hi guys
Can anyone recommend a good quality maker of Forstner bits. Over time I have bought a few boxed sets from the likes of Screwfix etc, but have always been disappointed with them. They are ok for a few uses but then become next to useless. Resharpening doesn’t seem to improve them.

D

I have found the Axminster own brand to be good and easy to sharpen if required. I buy individual bits as needed rather than sets.

Funny you should bring this up today.
After last night's @benchmark.101 on the biography of James Krenov written by Brendan Gaffney, the after hours open chat brought forth 2 examples of sets of the earliest Forstner bits for use with hand braces.
The earliest has a solid outer periphery and the subsequent style had a gap in the periphery at the edge of each cutter.
Amazingly there is no dimple in the bottom after boring stopped holes. Very useful for decorative work.
If you can find em they ain't normally cheap and it's a game to sharpen them.
I wouldn't want to use them on ought man-made though.
Cheers Andy

Last edited:
CMT make good ones. Pretty expensive tho. I use quite a lot of their stuff, router bits, saw blades as well as forstners.

I tend to keep the forstners for the precision stuff. A rabid beaver tied to a long pole is fine for the rough work.

The three on the left are part of a set, two Axminster on the right image.jpeg

I think that some are based on the design used in a hand brace (left hand side of my pic) and some are more suited to power drill use, on the,right.
If using the original design in a power drill you tend to get a lot of heat.

I replaced my cheapy set with Trend Snappy equivalents on an ad-hoc basis. Each bit cost two to three times as much as I paid for the set but the difference in ease of use is incredible.

Festool Zobo Forstner bits are excellent with the added advantage of having a removable centre point so you can have a flat bottom hole without a dimple in the middle.
Famag also make some very good forstner bits, like most things quality costs but I’ve used both of these brands & would highly recommend them.

CMT do a 5 pack for 40 euros, so probably 30 pounds in the UK.
They look the best value that I've come across.
What do you folks think about them?

Thanks
Tom

CMT do a 5 pack for 40 euros, so probably 30 pounds in the UK.
They look the best value that I've come across.
What do you folks think about them?

Thanks
Tom
Assuming that they are genuine, and that cmt haven’t gone all cheap and nasty with a cut price range then bite their arm off!

Is that a special offer or something? Im tempted myself, and i don't even need them!

I don't think so, its seems the seller is a builders providers, and they advertise on a gumtree like site also...J Jackson tools.
I wouldn't think any seller on the island can do charity work, so am apprehensive about the quality myself.
I have it quite close to the top on my list of new things to buy, if they are alright.

Tom

This is interesting. I recently bought a set of Famag Twin-Lip_and_Spur and they are wonderful. It's just that I've had to have therapy about the price, but I am recovering.
I have an Axi set of Forstners. They are OK, but only OK. I used to have a few Clico ones which were superb. If you have got them I'd like them back, please.
I don't think I'd buy a set again, TBH, just buy the ones I need as and when. Yes it's expensive, but what you spend on tools you do need you save on tools you don't need.
Sort of.
Maybe.
:)
S

Last edited:
I had a look at the website and you can also buy them singularly for prob less than a tenner over there.
Are those wave slicing designs better than these saw tooth bits for hardwoods, (for use with a sturdy pillar drill)...
Or are they just inferior?
Thanks

• 5 Piece Forstner Bit Set

Thanks, guys
It seems that, as with all things, you get what you pay for. Thanks for the pointers to brands, and for the general advice to buy one offs as the need arises, rather than buying sets.
I can’t find anywhere that sells Oddbods ‘rabid beavers on a stick’ for use in the rougher end of woodworking. I’ll have to have a word with Axminster.
D

I had a look at the website and you can also buy them singularly for prob less than a tenner over there.
Are those wave slicing designs better than these saw tooth bits for hardwoods, (for use with a sturdy pillar drill)...
Or are they just inferior?
Thanks

• 5 Piece Forstner Bit Set
I believe stumpy nubs did a video comparing the flat ones, wave ones and saw tooth ones, concluding that the wave offer the best of both the flat and the saw tooth. He also recommended Fisch bits.

Aye DBT85, I have seen that video before, and learned some stuff.
One of James's better watches.
At the same time, I was looking for more than (possibly) a slanted view on the subject, on brand new bits straight out of the box.

I wouldn't be adverse to honing the bits if needed or doing something else that
maybe wot 'merican youtubers ain't got no time for doin'
Just trying to see if these might be way inferior for my needs working hardwoods.

Cheers
Tom

Hi ttrees, those look like the real CMT. I googled and scott and sergeant are doing the same set At about the same price. That boosts confidence. They look to be on special offer. Def worth a punt

Latest posts

Back