Forstner bit quality

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have tried several types, these wandered about a lot on softwood and get very hot very quickly. I get the Famag Bohrmax which you can use freehand, does end grain, mdf, hard and softwood no problem. I also wouldn't buy a set but spend the money on the sizes you want but buy the best you can afford.

I've got a very cheap set from Toolstation which have been fine for occasional use in hardwood, softwood, MDF and ply. I've also used a couple of 'sawtooth' cutters from Wealden, which are excellent - these Record bits look to be of a similar design.

Hope that helps. :)

The carbide tipped ones will stay sharper longer and cut harder, and more abrasive/ wearing material than the hss versions. If you are working hard and soft woods, then get them from Isaac Lords or someone who hasn't over priced them as much as the ruttles, if you are doing Corian, Mdf or hardwoods mainly then invest in the TCT versions, both are better than standard forstner bits.

I have the record power set. Tend to use them in the drill press. Haven't used them extensively but found them OK for the price. Agree about them getting hot in use. Asso agree 100% about get the best you can, especially with something like this. A useful set but I would probably go for a better quality individual and buy the sizes as needed if buying again. The set is good if you don't really know in advance what you want.

Thanks everyone, helpful comments,
The two I have already and use often are TCT and pretty good quality, I was thinking more of these sizes for occasional use, sort of application that I've just worked around in the past when I don't have the right size, might save some time for not too much money.
Thanks again,
T

Latest posts

Back