Forming access hatch in wood flooring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodchips2

Established Member
Reaction score
We are planning to replace the carpet in our lounge with a solid wood floor but I want to provide an access hatch to the suspended timber floor below so I can get to the services beneath the floor if need be. The hatch will be in a corner of the room and quite small, maybe 600x450mm. I am wondering how to allow for expansion of the floor where the hatch abuts the main flooring? Has anybody done something similar?

Regards Keith

Woodchips2":3fsfzzl0 said:
We are planning to replace the carpet in our lounge with a solid wood floor but I want to provide an access hatch to the suspended timber floor below so I can get to the services beneath the floor if need be. The hatch will be in a corner of the room and quite small, maybe 600x450mm. I am wondering how to allow for expansion of the floor where the hatch abuts the main flooring? Has anybody done something similar?

Regards Keith

My suggestion would be that you put a length of cork between the cross-grain side of the hatch between it and the skirting. This will allow for expansion of both the hatch and the main floor by compresson of the strip. It might be a bit of a struggle to get the hatch up and back again at times of high hunidity, but you will still be able to do so if neccessary. Strip designed for this sort of situation is available from flooring suppliers and places like Wickes. It is often used where flooring abuts fixed threshold strips.

Jim

Thanks Jim. I was thinking of screwing the access hatch to the sub-floor but could leave it loose as it will be in a corner of the room that won't be walked on.

Regards Keith

Keith,

As long as it sits flat and won't rock there seems little merit in screwing it down. If it's going to be a close fit it might be worth thinking about fitting one of those flush fitting hinged ring pull things so that you can easily get it up if/when you need to without resorting to stuffing a srewdriver in a gap and damaging edges. Planing a bit of an undercut on the edge that will come up first might also help.

Jim

Thanks again Jim, that is another good idea. I like to maintain quick access to the floor void having had two leaks this year!

Regards Keith

Latest posts

Back