For mailee and any others who are interested

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SketchUp Guru

Established Member
Reaction score
Right, lets see if this will help.

First: Follow Me. In this example I drew the path and placed the profile on the edge. I selected the entire profile; hold the CTRL key while selecting the line segments. Then I chose the Follow Me tool and clicked on the profile. In this case I deleted the face inside the path before I added the molding profile. I could have left it, double clicked on the face to also select the bounding edges, held Shift and clicked on the face to deselect it and then run Follow Me.
FollowMe.jpg

Note that the first line segment in the Follow Me path must be perpendicular to the profile. If it isn't, goofy things happen.

Next: Layers. See these two screen shots. In the window menu, check Layers and Entity Info. You'll get a couple of dialog boxes as seen in the next image.
layers1.jpg

layers2.jpg

If you click on the blue bar at the top of the dialog box, it will collapse and look like the Component and Materials boxes. You can move them out of your way as needed.

To add layers, click Add and type a new layer name as desired. To put something on a layer, select that something and then click on the drop down arrow next to "Layer 0" in the Entity Info box and select the desired layer.

ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS do your drawing on Layer 0 and move it later to a new layer. That will help you keep things organized.

You can turn layers off to hide parts of your drawing by unchecking the box near the layer name in the Layers dialog box.

Does that give you a start? Let me know if you have more questions.

Dave

A big thanks for that Dave, yes it looks quite clear now. I shall give it a try and see if I can get the hang of it. I will be back if I have more questions. Thanks Dave. :D

My thanks too for layers stuff as well, I'm just beginning to to explore that (not having any previous CAD experience, so a standing start).

Latest posts

Back