food safe finish for wooden bowls/platters

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarGazer

Established Member
Reaction score
My family and I regularly use a large number of pole lathe turned wooden bowls (oak, chestnut, beech etc) and platters for cooking, eating and food preparation during historical reenactment events, these get washed frequently in warm soapy water.

Does anyone have any advice regarding a food safe oil/finish to protect the wood that can be regularly (weekly) be applied once everything is back home and washed.

thanks

Stargazer

Standard finish for such items is Llight grade Pharmaceutical Mineral Oil (Liquid Paraffin),

Typical product is Chestnuts food safe Finish

Ikea also sell the equivalent in a slightly thicker grade, that purchased from the local pharmacy will be of a heavier grade and slower to penetrate and dry.

Wiping with a clean damp cloth or swill in clean water should be all that is necessary, washing in soap or worse still detergents will remove the oil.

i use a regular application of walnut oil ( from tesco) - tho you need to beware of people with nut allergies - any other organic oil such as hemp etc could be used instead - though i might draw the line at crisp and dry :D

big soft moose":22hnykry said:
i use a regular application of walnut oil ...

I have known instances of 'Nut' oils going rancid with time, not a pleasant bouquet for a food utensil.

Latest posts

Back