Bowl finish - Does toy safe have any food safe implication?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brianp

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, this is hopefully a quick one. I made a bowl for a friend a while ago, back when all I had in the finishes box was a bottle of acrylic sanding sealer and one of acrylic lacquer (Chestnut products). I've used the acrylic lacquer to finish the piece, and I am to meet him soon - can I tell him to use the piece as a food bowl or should it just be used as an air bowl?

I guess what I'm asking is to what extent toy safe implies food safe?

Thanks!

Brian.

NO they are 2 entirely different standards. Toy safe means that when the product is dry it will not do any harm if licked, chewed or eaten by a baby or anyone else.

Food safe means that whilst it will not do any harm if licked, chewed or eaten it also has to undergo extensive testing to make sure it wont react with a wide range of food stuff and liquids to produce a hazardous substance.

A lot of toy safe products would pass the food safe test but to get that certificate costs thousands per batch made as each batch has to be tested.

Unless I use one of the food safe products I always advise against using it for food, I then recommend this http://www.lakeland.co.uk/3528/Fruit-an ... le-Cushion to go in any bowl as it helps keep the fruit fresh and keeps thefruit of off the surface.

As mentioned by Duncan Terry at Chestnuts would be able to give you the full blurb.

john

Hi

I've just answered your email Brian but really John has said it all, I can't fault his answer!

Terry

oh, and I'm blushing...

jpt":16ll0u5e said:
NO they are 2 entirely different standards. Toy safe means that when the product is dry it will not do any harm if licked, chewed or eaten by a baby or anyone else.

Food safe means that whilst it will not do any harm if licked, chewed or eaten it also has to undergo extensive testing to make sure it wont react with a wide range of food stuff and liquids to produce a hazardous substance.

A lot of toy safe products would pass the food safe test but to get that certificate costs thousands per batch made as each batch has to be tested.

Unless I use one of the food safe products I always advise against using it for food, I then recommend this http://www.lakeland.co.uk/3528/Fruit-an ... le-Cushion to go in any bowl as it helps keep the fruit fresh and keeps thefruit of off the surface.

As mentioned by Duncan Terry at Chestnuts would be able to give you the full blurb.

john

Does this mean that food safe products are also toy safe?

John51":18li1ju6 said:
Does this mean that food safe products are also toy safe?

Speaking for our products, probably...but not necessarily suitable/hard wearing enough for toys. We have several products in our range that are tested for toy safety but we don't test them all because some of them, in our opinion, shouldn't be used for that purpose.
(Friction Polish is an ideal example, it would probably pass the test but if we said it was toy safe it would imply it was suitable for toys, and there are many harder-wearing finishes available that would be better for the job).

Terry Smart":3jhrqqjf said:
Hi

I've just answered your email Brian but really John has said it all, I can't fault his answer!

Terry

oh, and I'm blushing...

Just came on to say that I'd been on to you! Thanks again for your prompt email and answer!

Back