Food Safe Finishes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Place

Reaction score
Hello

I've been approached by a local pub/restaurant about turning some platters, bowls etc for them. Thing; is they want them in a dark wood and quite glossy (satin finish). I could sand them to a 1200 grit but the food safe oil I've got would make them look dull . Normal varnish isn't suitable... all help and suggestions will be gratefully received!

Thanks in advance

Phil

Try Tung oil on a piece, and it's food safe. The only thing you might have to consider (because it's a pub/restaurant) is a possible reaction to those with an allergy to nuts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_oil#F ... _reactions

"As the source of tung oil is a nut, people with nut allergies often report adverse reactions to contact with (or even the odour of) tung oil. Reactions can be severe in some cases. While tung oil has been used for many centuries as a finish for kitchen items such as wooden bowls and cutting boards, some individuals must avoid its use."

Thanks for the replies. Done a little research and general varnishes "cure" over time, that would - theoretically - leave the satin finish needed/wanted (chefs are so picky about presentation!), will experiment next week. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back