Folding table

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

antonello

Established Member
Reaction score
I always had from my childhood, a passion for building model aircraft and ships, which for fifteen years now has been put aside in favor of building things always in wood but heavier.....

This summer I decided to finish some model boats I started long time ago, but I had to catch up some dedicated space, otherwise all the time would have been spent between putting out and in things....

The only available room was a kind of multipurpose one that sometimes I need completely cleared in the middle, so the table couldn’t be too bulky and in a fixed location.

The solution devised was that of a folding table hinged to a bookcase-container (that originally was 60 cm deep and was cut in two to obtain twice of the space but 30 cm deep....)

Of course I did not want to spend time or money, so the construction has taken place using the shortest possible time and only material present in the workshop as remnants of previous works ..... the deck is a sandwich with melamine mdf, paper honeycomb and 4 mm plywood for the bottom.

Only purchase the screw knobs (6 euros all).

The table in action.
2cncdo1.jpg

The empty table ready for closure, the lamp also has its housing in the container

30x7py9.jpg

The table legs (wich were a present of a friend of mine .......) with the knobs screw for the disassembly and the clip for closing

246ru42.jpg

The closed table .....

wri7x2.jpg

It's an interesting idea.

I only wonder whether you could've designed it so that the legs fold-away with the table top, instead of having to remove them and store elsewhere? Of course, it may not work, depending on the dimensions of your top... The length of the top would have to be at least double the height of the legs, for example.

Yes, I was thinking about folding legs, but I've chosen a solution that won't show that the table is a table.....

I thought also to a deck simply suspended to chains or similar, but that was probably a little bit too "elastic" for my needs.

Back