Flush Hinges with MDF cupboards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doors look smart to me Alex! See on your profile you're in Leicester, if you need a hand with anything I'm between leicester and harborough.

Alexc":22yrkoqa said:
The right door now is in need of a double cranked (not double-cranked, rather 2 single cranks), with cranks facing the opposite way. Not sure they even make these. I have attached a diagram to show what I mean. Maybe I should simply use a non-cranked butt with dowels.
I don't think I've seen a hinge as you describe there, although they may exist, but I've not looked. I suppose you could consider a bit of a bodge job and try cranking the longer straight leaf of a spare hinge or two. It could work if done accurately enough, but you might have to bore some new screw holes. Slainte.

Richard S":dknevl87 said:
Boatbuilder fits hinge with cranked side against edge and outer face of carcase and flat side fixed directly to the inner face of the door stile. It’s rubbish but they’ve been doing it for ever and unfortunately I doubt they will change.
Interesting. I would probably never have thought of that having always used that type of hinge the 'conventional' way, if that's the right term. Maybe the boatbuilder thought their method was 'conventional', and if they saw how I'd want to fit them they'd think it was a bit odd, ha, ha. Slainte.

Sgian Dubh":6pmrucqq said:
Alexc":6pmrucqq said:
The right door now is in need of a double cranked (not double-cranked, rather 2 single cranks), with cranks facing the opposite way. Not sure they even make these. I have attached a diagram to show what I mean. Maybe I should simply use a non-cranked butt with dowels.
I don't think I've seen a hinge as you describe there, although they may exist, but I've not looked. I suppose you could consider a bit of a bodge job and try cranking the longer straight leaf of a spare hinge or two. It could work if done accurately enough, but you might have to bore some new screw holes. Slainte.

I did just that on my vice using a hammer. But the custom crank is slightly skewed. Hard to tell by eye but obvious when put against the frame. Not sure I can go down that route and not spend £100 on hinges till I get 3 right!

I have exactly the same problem as Alexc and would also like to find an MDF hinge with two single cranks. I cannot believe that there is not more choice out there.
I make a lot of small cupboards for customers out of MDF and found the Lamello biscuit hinges ideal until they stopped making them! #-o (I never had a problem with splits in the MDF I just used extra long 3mm screws and drilled pilot holes.) I now need another solution for doors and frames on the same plane, it is too time-consuming to use a router and jig and ordinary butt hinges.

Latest posts

Back