Flurry of workshop builds

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi

Very interesting build, a new workshop is something I've been needing for some time. Where do you get the steel from? is it manufactured to order or are they 'off the shelf' components?

Regards Mick

Hi Mick,
The steel was fabricated by by a chappie in Forfar.
The local companies showed no interest at all, (not a megabucks oil job.)
I designed the steel myself ,modelled it up in Solidworks, and made the detail drawings from that.
I have to give credit to the fabricator , everything was to the millimetre and dropped onto the foundation bolts spot on.
Biggest problem now is getting the kingspan roof panels up without damaging it.!

Howard

Hells Bells, Howard. That's not a workshop, it a freakn' palace!! You lucky devil you.

I had been excited about planning to start my dinky little single garage workshop. Now I'll have to think about telling SWMBO we have to move to a bigger site....

gregmcateer":2wuy4zhs said:
Hells Bells, Howard. That's not a workshop, it a freakn' palace!! You lucky devil you.

I had been excited about planning to start my dinky little single garage workshop. Now I'll have to think about telling SWMBO we have to move to a bigger site....

To be honest there isn't much to do up here especially as the weather is always so inclement.
So, I decided to make the ultimate hobby shop for those often cold dark evenings,

Howard

me and my bird put up my 8 metre 80mm insulated kingspan panels on my shed, it's not too bad, but mine was a timber frame.

nathan

Thanks Howard

Is there an on line resource where I could research building with steel and Kingspan? I'm OK with CAD but not sure I'd know where to start designing in steel.

Regards Mick

Hi Mick,
You would have to get an engineer involved to get building regs approval.
Have a look at this outfit http://www.rbscotland.co.uk there are other similar companies up here.
It actually works out cheaper to buy an off the shelf structure than to do it my way.
I don't know of any internet site which would help design a structure, it isn't easy because you
Have to calculate every load on it, such as side winds and uplift from the roof.

Good luck
Howard

Back