Floor Pillar Drill

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andys wood shed

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking to replace the Clark pillar drill I have.

The one that takes my fancy so far is the Jet JDP-17f

Does anyone own one?

Any other suitable alternatives?

Cheers

Andy

Have you considered an old one? If you have time to look around you may save some money and get something at least as good. There are a lot of old industrial drills available if you look around and they may offer a good alternative to the current chinese machines.

I just bought an old boxford floor standing drill. It needed a good clean up but runs perfectly. It looks bombproof and is very heavy and stable. I paid £120 for it and think I got a bargain. It has five speeds on the pulley and a two-range gear box.

The picture isn't mine but now looks pretty much like this:
ebc4e944.jpg

The difference in smoothness and power compared to my old Rexon is amazing. Speed changes are easier too. The bid advantage is the much greater amount of chuck travel it gives.

The only thing that mine doesn't have that I'd like is a rack & pinion table and a depth stop (it does have a scale and small handle which I haven't quite worked out the function of yet). A depth stop should not be too difficult to devise.

I'm currently making a bolt-on table and fence for it which I think is a must-have accessory for a woodworker.

regards

Colin

Shultzy":dzewoml7 said:
Looks good. Is this the sort of money that needs to be spent to get a good pillar drill. I was looking to put this one on my list.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/product.asp? ... e=1&jump=0

What do you think

No.o.o.o.o.o.o.o.o - looks very similar to a horrible one I bought from Screwfix...OK ..not the same brand but similar design/fabrication.

I'm with Colinc on this...chalk and cheese.

Andy I'm not saying the Jet or the fox are not good buys but it wouldn't get a look in against Colins second hand machine, the most important thing for me is the travel distance the chuck has both the Jet & the fox are only 85mm, my second hand Kerry has 185mm of travel and I susspect Colins is similar to mine, where the older cast machines show there worth is when the chuck is pulled down there won't be any wobble or play in the chuck at all. So thats three of us that have said go for a second hand older machine, I suspect many more would agree with with us. Remember we didn't pay anywhere near the price of a new Jet or Fox but we got better bigger machines, with money left over to buy some decent forstner bits and lipped bits. :)

I bought a Scheppach Radial drill press. Like has already been said. I wish now, I'd bought a second hand one. Nothing *actually* wrong with the Scheppach, but I'd have got more accuracy for less money buying second hand.

Adam

Andy,

If you o(r anyone else) is looking to buy a used drill from a dealer there is a good list on the Machinery Links page here. http://www.homeworkshop.org.uk/

There are also some for sale pages. In my experience buying from the model engineering community is often a good way of finding well looked after machines.

regards

Colin

Thanks Guys for your advice

I will be putting off my purchase for a while until I've investigated the secondhand option further.

Was hoping to make a new purchase before Christmas but I don't want to make a hasty second hand mistake

Just hope the clark holds out :roll:

Latest posts

Back