Flexable curves

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spectric

Staff member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Last edited:
I have 2 of those orange ones in different sizes. They are good and work pretty well, quite rubbery and heavy you need to use pretty small screws to secure them and washer heads are ideal as countersunk ones can try and damage it.
I have used them for template work on spindle and router table.
One thing is store it hanging from the wall or very flat because it will try and get all wiggly otherwise.

Ollie

Comments as above. Also don't use too much pressure from the guide bearing as the curve may distort. Keep the cut as small as possible and take it gently.
Brian

thanks for the feedback, and a good shout on using washer heads rather than C/S. I will probably get the 18mm2 one and give it a go, need to make an insert to fit the back of an odd curve.

This arrived this morning and it is not exactly what I was thinking of. I had hoped that it could retain a curve so you could take a profile from something and transfer to either the workpiece or to a template but this is not the case, it only retains a curve when fixed down. On a positive note it will make, making curves and such easy with the router table so all is not lost.

I think this one is the same as the Fisch one sold by Axminster except it is orange and not blue plus almost twenty quid cheaper.

Another option would be to use something like this Tru-Flex II Flexible Curves for Drawing & Measuring Curved Shapes
to get the profile, transfer it to the job and draw a line. Next cut close to line on bandsaw, then attach the curve and finally finish with the router.

What is needed is one that is plastic coated lead so it would retain shape but looks like no one has thought of this unless they got banned for safety reasons!

This tool maybe something in the right direction Shinwa Flexible Rule with Scale 800mm but we need the woodworking shows back to handle the gear to get it right.

I've still got my Flexicurve dating from school days in the 60's. It's filled with laminated strips of lead which are intended to keep its shape but it's really only successful for creating shapes on the drawing board. I use it occasionally in the w/s for small jobs. It's about 18" long.
Brian

Drawing them out with a compass or trammel will be far more accurate than using a flexicurve

I've still got my Flexicurve dating from school days in the 60's. It's filled with laminated strips of lead which are intended to keep its shape but it's really only successful for creating shapes on the drawing board. I use it occasionally in the w/s for small jobs. It's about 18" long.
Brian

Same here. I used it to draw a curved template, cut it out on the bandsaw then sanded to a nice smooth profile.
Bit long winded but worked well.

Back