Fleeced on Ebay - Argh!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
petermillard":1xsc50vf said:
shannyla":1xsc50vf said:
Jacob picked up that he'd tried to sell the set before but without mentioning that there were no cutters included and now he was trying to resell the set after having been called on it by the buyer. In my opinion, that kind of shows that the seller is not exactly as pure as the driven snow...

Quite the opposite; it suggests to me that he's already listed it as a 'Festool Domino DS 5/6/8/10 No: 493301 set' and some numpty's bid on it then moaned when they realise it isn't the current 'Festool Domino DS 4/5/6/8/10 No. 495664 set' that includes the cutters. Being a decent sort he's allowed them to cancel the bid and has relisted it, drawing attention to the fact that it doesn't come with the cutters in the hope to avoid the same situation - and yet here we are...

Nobody's 'piling on' btw - this isn't school - but you asked for detached opinion and I was adding mine; like many of us here I've both bought and sold a lot on eBay and it really hacks me off when buyers just don't read what's listed (or bother to research/seek advice) then whinge about rip-offs and fleecing when what they've bought turns out not to be what they expected.

Pay the man and enjoy making things with the doms - or if all else fails...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8ssf-xX ... ature=fvwp

;) Pete
If you look carefully at the picture it shows four cutters on the systainer, however I would not have noticed this if not for this thread. However I would have noticed the "does not have the cutters bit"
Jeff

andycktm":19rxu17x said:
The ebay feed back system didn't ever work and still doesn't.

How does it not work? I know there used to be a problem with sellers holding buyers to ransom over feedback. Since eBay change the rules so as to not allow sellers to leave anything other than positive feedback for buyers that problem has disappeared. I don't see any other problems but happy to be shown. :D I've been using eBay for many years and have over 2000 FB,100% positive with almost 5/5 DSRs.

Roger

Oh yes it's not the same ad is it! Shows how easy it is to miss the essentials.

I trapped somebody the same way a bit back. Joke really; I ebay'd the empty box from a new LV jack plane, making it absolutely clear (I thought) that is was BOX ONLY.
Got 2 bidders competing - both who obviously hadn't read the large print and thought they were getting a plane.
I felt couldn't rip off a dyslexic woodworker or half-witted tooly so withdrew it. They were both very grateful!

Whatever your opinion on all of this, and there have been many expressed, one thing should be crystal clear...

Read all listings very carefully, and if you make a mistake, accept it and move on.

Unless you have very clear and unambiguous evidence that a seller has mislead you, I don't think you should leave negative feedback. If you are not happy about something such as this example, perhaps the best course of action would be to simply not leave any feedback at all.

FWIW, I don't believe this seller has misled you but that is just my opinion.

regards

Brian

Clearly the buyer is not happy,so can he happily put negative feedback? I doubt it.
Also its clearly his fault for jumping in blind but was he pushed?
In the past i've seen positives posted thro' gritted teeth,because the buyer is in fear of his own ratings.

andycktm":gedr6qdr said:
In the past i've seen positives posted thro' gritted teeth,because the buyer is in fear of his own ratings.

Sellers can't leave anything but positive FB for buyers. FB extortion ended a long time ago. :D

RogerP":30k44nor said:
andycktm":30k44nor said:

Sellers can't leave anything but positive FB for buyers. FB extortion ended a long time ago. :D
Right. Now you tell me! :roll: All those f&&ers I let off lightly. Never again.

Quitting ebay is like quitting smoking, once you've quit you look back and think what a fool. Such a filthy habit :lol: :lol:

RogerP":2zrw2j49 said:
andycktm":2zrw2j49 said:

Decent, confident sellers will leave feedback first for their buyers anyway, I always do, after cleared payment of course. After all there not much else a buyer can do except pay up promptly and that's their part of the deal done - so why not leave him/her feedback there and then? Aside from that I think it gives a positive feel about the sale to the buyer - I know it does for me when I'm the buyer and the seller leaves FB as soon as I pay.

Roger

Have you contacted him and explained that you miss-read the listing, he might take it back if you pay the postage?
Chris.

RogerP":113af8dp said:
Decent, confident sellers will leave feedback first for their buyers anyway,

Roger

Exactamundo. I hate it when I get e-mails from sellers saying 'leave me feedback and then I'll leave yours'. I never do: I've bought, I've paid, a quick look at my feedback shows I've never left a neg, so leave the damn feedback.

andersonec":2bwmlxc7 said:
I really don't think you were fleeced, after re-reading the ad and realised you had made a mistake you could have cancelled the transaction, if you paid immediately and used paypal you would have got your money back. In anycase check the prices elsewhere. e.g.

Andy

http://www.pickardhardware.com/domino-d ... p-411.html

And as it's not a machine - you should be able to get the normal 15-20% most dealers will give on accessories.

Lons - fridge, sign upto FreeCycle, I reckon you'd get inundated with offers to take it for free.

http://recyclinggroupfinder.com/group/U ... -Freecycle
http://recyclinggroupfinder.com/group/U ... -Freecycle
http://groups.freecycle.org/northumberl ... escription

HIH

Dibs

Now i have read his full description on a computer the sellers description is very clear and his item specifics re the condition also states clearly to check the item description. No cutters shown in the pic either so I will take back my original suggestion of neutral feedback as the seller has done everything correctly and deserves + if everything else is correct and del as promised. Sorry i agree with everyone else that you should always pay attention to what you bid or buy when its second hand.

Dibs-h":3m39icyt said:
Lons - fridge, sign upto FreeCycle, I reckon you'd get inundated with offers to take it for free.

HIH Dibs

Yes thanks Dibs, I had considered that but i had an experience a while ago which left a sour taste and i also got fed up of all the junk emails i had to block. (Co-incidently i started getting loads from other sources as well so suspected they'd passed on my details).

One of my mates had an issue last year also when a few days after some less than savoury characters collected a tv, his house was burgled - may be connected - maybe not but better safe than sorry.IMO.

Managed to give the fridge away yesterday though when I mentioned it to a golfing partner he offered to take it (provideng I let him win :roll: )

cheers

Bob

ps - my faith in ebay is strengthened again. Bought 5 boxes of abranet disks from this guy - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... :MEWAX:VRI
- arrived today but 1 box was wrong grit. Quick email tonight and immediate reply saying FOC box will be in tomorrows' post. can't say fairer than that.

Jacob":2d2ml266 said:
RogerP":2d2ml266 said:
andycktm":2d2ml266 said:

Right. Now you tell me! :roll: All those f&&ers I let off lightly. Never again.

Spoken like a true bullying coward!

BugBear

Back