flb door

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was trying to get back to the original question!!! As normally the back of an flb door would face the house, but in this case (if you was to fit an flb) you would have the face the house side.

To add to your discussion:
If the above was the case you could fill voids with rockwall and put some sort of fire board on, and intumescent strip. Now that would stop a fire.

I have just completed a job using oak FLB doors and they were passed as being fire rated as long as the t+g boards were 25mm thick and they had perko's fitted, no intumescent fitted.

I think I might have lost the plot a bit here!
Is the door you intend to fit a warranted fire-resisting door?
Does it have instructions with it that give an indication of a correct way round to hang it?
Is it actually a ledged and braced door made from separate pieces of wood?
Is it a moulded door of any sort?
Or are you fitting a fire-resisting door that has had bracing added to it?
What is the frame you intend to fix the door into like - solid moulded or planted on stops etc? Hardwood or softwood?

If we can establish this lot we might have an answer.

SF

Andy
What was the form of "passed as being fire rated", please?
No argument here. I'm just curious.
Cheers

SF

Accepted by building control. When you are building a million pound traditional type house with an oak second fix and staircase etc you just cant get doors that are suitable 'off the shelf' that are anything like 'in keeping'. Regards Andy

Thanks Andy.
That is just the sort of thing I have to make decisions on.
However, for the record, we should also accept that a door which has not been tested (which could cost about £4000 I believe, would require two doors that would be tested to destruction and still might fail the test) cannot actually meet the BS.
The doors are tested as door sets so have to be in a frame at the time.

So, anything that is new, in good oak, and properly constructed will probably be accepted as a 20 minute door. It is highly unlikely that it would perform too well as a smoke stop door as it would be somewhat "leaky" I would have thought. All the joins between boards would let by.
This would be acceptable for most domestic situations and I have accepted such doors in the past.
I do have reservations, though, even so.
There is no exact answer, I fear.
Thanks for the quick answer.

SF

Shadowfax, I am fitting a bog standard fire door. No advice needed on that front.

I was just interested on the aesthetics of it IF i was to fit a flb, which i am not!

Told you I'd lost the plot here!!
I would agree with Dom. Put the flb on the garage side for aesthetics.
Should have said that in the first place, I guess!
Somebody put me back in me box if I get carried away again.

SF

Back