Fixing question (now a sort of WIP)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zeddedhed

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently making up a curved bath panel for this bath:
Kyomi.jpg

The plan is to fix some stacked curved ply ribs to both the floor and the underside of the bath rim and then fix some flexi 6mm Oak veneered plywood to make the panel. It will be vertical, unlike the panel in the picture.
I've cut the ply ribs ready.
My question is how to best fix the flexi ply to the ribs. I want to keep it looking as minimalist as possible.
Would Titebond (the green bottle, waterproof I believe) be OK? Obviously it'll need to be under pressure as it dries.
Any ideas?

Attachments

• Kyomi.jpg
    Kyomi.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 207
Add blocks to the ply to give more surface area for glueing and I'd personally use polyeurathane glue for the bonding.
Ratchet cramps/straps will also be your friend for this one :wink:

Don't forget that you might need to remove the bath panel to get at the plumbing.

There are good spring clips available for this sort of application but they might be hard to find. I've used Velcro pads glued and stapled to wood.

If your flexiply is too thin for fittings you could use curved blocks glued to the panel which would line up with curved blocks fixed to the floor, holding together with magnets.

A more conventional approach is to use mirror screws with chrome plated dome inserts, for a fixing which while not invisible does not look like an ugly screwhead.

having fitted a few of these plastic bath pannels before, the majority of them seem to have very little in the way of anything fixing them to the bath and are pretty much free standing other than where they clip together on the back side.

Is this a commercial venture or a project for home? And were you hoping for compound curves in it or more like straight down from the top to bottom and curving around the thing?

Thanks to all for your advice and comments.
I've glued up the panel using ratchets, Titebond and Gorilla Glue (foamy stuff)
So far it seems to have worked OK, although it needs a few more hours in the clamps

The red sheet was there to protect the ply from the ratchet straps (and to soak up squeeze out and glue itself onto the whole damned thing - DOH!)

I'll let you know how it is when it's out of the clamps and installed.

Thanks guys

2014-01-03 13.42.55.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-01-03 13.42.55.jpg
    2014-01-03 13.42.55.jpg
    175.4 KB · Views: 64
Panel out of the clamps and ready for a test fit.
More piccys to follow once installed (hopefully)

2014-01-03 15.01.41.jpg

Attachments

• 2014-01-03 15.01.41.jpg
    2014-01-03 15.01.41.jpg
    191 KB · Views: 47
Back