Fixing a torch in a car

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caretaker

Established Member
Reaction score
In the dark evenings I have trouble finding the ignition key hole, so I have brought a lightweight torch with a button on the side for on/off, it also extends and bends, just the job to find the key hole.
Now this is the bit that will be tricky, I would like to clip the torch to the front panel by using a open spring metal clip or two, (the sort used to hang a screw drive) but how to fix the clips to the plastic panel?
The car is 13 years old and I'm not to bothered what it looks like, but the idea is to jump in to the car, press the torch button put key in hole.
I was thinking of araldite glue.
Any suggestions but don't say put it in the glove compartment as the wife has the kitchen sink in there.
Reggie

depending on where the torch can be fastened if over a vent would cable ties be sufficient

pics of the available areas would help

Wouldn't a little one on the key ring be easier- you can get some nice bright led ones that run off a button battery.

Hows about self adhesive velcro, from halfords and others, for fixing the torch in place? Regards Rodders

However you do it just remember that the dash board of most cars are made of soft spongey material for a reason, if you fix a metal fork to it it may well be what you land on in the event of a sudden stop or accident.

Buy a new car where the interior light stays on long enough for you to find the ignition ;-)

Pete

I have had a good look at the dashboard and there is a side vent so will use as suggested cable ties, thanks to the person that said that.
My car is old but the interior light stays on long enough but the key hole is shielded by the steering shaft and was thinking the torch was an easy fix.
I did have a car that had a green circular light around the key hole.
Thank you all for your valid suggestions, now were did I put them ties.
Just had an idea, how about a competition on guess my car but every ones car?
I'll start it off.
One of my dash buttons has a snow flake on it.

the snowflake symbol on a switch usually means A/C
but that doesnt narrow the car model down enough for me (BMW?)

(i suggested the cable ties by the way)

Do you have a cigarette lighter in the car?

Richbrook Car Cigarette Lighter Rechargeable LED Torch Light - Black - £9.58

Rechargeable Car Torch. What A Bright Idea!

This Spotlight rechargeable LED torch is a bright Led light that is always ready and available when you need some extra light. Whether it's changing a tyre, searching for a lost item, walking through a dark car park or locating your keys, the Spotlight will always be at its peak power.

Spotlight LED light plugs in and charges from your vehicle's cigarette lighter which is a 12v power outlet.*

* Base dimension is 20mm, We advise that you check your cigarette lighter connection size before purchasing.

Or

Rolson 12v Car Cigarette Lighter Torch 1 LED Rechargeable - £4.99

12v Car Cigarette Lighter Torch Rechargeable

Simply Charge From Car Cigarette Lighter
Manufactured From Aluminium
0.5 W High Power LED
A 30 Minute charge can work for 10-15 Hours
Rechargeable 3.6V 80MA Ni-MH Battery
Rotary Switch
Light Mode : On/Off

Or do you have a door pocket or drink holder where a small torch could be placed?

It is not a BMW or a SAAB.
I like the idea of the cigarette lighter torch.
One more clue, it has 3 cigarette lighters 2 in the front and 1 in the rear.

No to Land rover and Range rover.
The snow flake button is on the auto gear selector control next to sport mode.
OK one more clue, it is a estate and in the back there is a switch but it dose not turn on a light.

Sounds like a Citroën Grand C4 Pacasso to me, like mine, but I never have trouble finding the hole, for the key that is, by JONZJOB.
Well done John, you are the winner.
The car is a Citroen 2001 estate but the model is a C5, it was first registered in Paris but must of been for export to the uk as it is a right hand drive, I found some paperwork in the glove compartment for this.
Merry Christmas to all.
Reggie

Back