Fixing a Chapter Ring

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodge

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I wonder if anyone can suggest anything for this. I turned a couple of clock faces, one from Maple and one from Willow. I'll admit the Willow is probably not too well seasoned which could have a bearing, but the Maple is fine. I've tried gluing the aluminium chapter rings onto the wood and they keep buckling overnight. I have tried superglue (probably a bad idea anyway), pink grip and good old silicone with the same results each time. At first I thought it was because it is pretty cold in my garage and a lot warmer when I bring them into the house, but even if I let the pieces acclimatise for a day or two in the house before gluing the result is the same. I thought the silicone would be flexible enough to give, but apparently not.
What does everyone else use to fix chapter rings? and am I doing something dumb (as usual) which is causing this?
Thanks everyone.

bodge":r081p6sc said:
I'll admit the Willow is probably not too well seasoned which could have a bearing

I'm afraid there you have the answer.

Willow is almost always full of water when it's felled (up to 100% MC) and therefore takes forever to dry.

I'd see if you can do a swap with someone with a woodburner - swap your willow logs for the pick of their log store. You're more likely to come off the better IMHO. :wink: :wink:

Jon

I think you need to let the wood acclimatise for much longer. The aluminium buckling is a good indication that the wood is still moving. By the time it has stabilised you might find your wood is too oval and may need reshaping anyway.

Latest posts

Back