Fixing a broken brass saw bolt?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ColeyS1":3furbg4k said:
Was the snapped bolt off a disston tenon saw ?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
Taylor bros, Sheffield.

To the best of my knowledge Disston only used this type of split nut for really early saws. Whilst I think it looks more elegant, having now dismantled a couple of saws (including a couple of Disstons) the domed type are so much more robust as the thread is much larger, and the nuts are deeper (more thread engagement).

liamscanlan":3aw0m4hc said:
Well, I am happy to try and I don't want payment! How cheap is that? Just let me know.
Really - if I can help it would be my pleasure - just send me some dimensions
Liam :p
OK, here's the world's worst technical drawing :)

I could have done a drawing but I figured photos might be better. Hopefully my measurements make sense.

saw-bolt-and-nut.jpg

Pictured is the "good" one. About 24mm in length with the nut on.

The bolt head (13.4mm) seems to be slightly smaller in maximum diameter than the nut (13.8mm); though both reduce to approx 11mm diameter on the other side of their 3.2mm thickness. The slot in the split nut is about 1.5mm wide and 1.5mm deep.

The shaft of the bolt is square in section for the first 5mm (3.5mm sides). It's approx 3.5mm in diameter for the rest; with the final 6mm being threaded. I don't know the thread I'm afraid.

The bolt that snapped has sheared at the point where it transitions from a 3.5mm dia circle to the 3.5mm sided square (i.e. about 5mm from the bolt head).

Attachments

• saw-bolt-and-nut.jpg
    saw-bolt-and-nut.jpg
    103.6 KB · Views: 347
Back