Fitting a door frame to untrue wall.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy002

Reaction score
I have just fitted a door frame and hung the door to the wall under the stairs in my house. As it was being used as storage, it started to look a bit messy. For some reason, the wall is way out, which is brick by the looks of it. so if I were to plumb the casing up and fix it true then I wouldn't be able to fix the architrave and it would just look messy (The wall is to bad to even think about scribing the architrave) Anyway, i've just fitted it to go with the wall and hung the door. It doesn't really look that bad to anyone else (the missus is happy with it) and you maybe wouldn't know unless you saw the door close on its own lol. I was just wondering what you would do if this was a customers house and you had to do the job. Obviously, you should make sure you fix everything plumb, but what takes priority. I usually work on shop/pub ref-fits, where most walls are studded and plumb anyway.

Use an over width lining and scribe it to the thickness of the wall. Set the hinges so they are plumb.

Jason

I served my apprentership in Cumbria and all the walls there where random stone and nothing was plumb. All casings where packed and fitted plumb then architrave scribed to the wall. Obviously the moulded edge should always remain paralell to the frame though. HTH

Roxy,
I think you have gone the right way, if your job is cost plus, then you can be pedantic and go the whole shoot, but most times you have priced the job and therefore you have to get over it.
As it was under stairs, I think I might have cut the lining down because the other side would have not been seen, in circumstanceslike these, you have little chance to do the rtight thing. just get over it.
Derek.

Mattty":15p9s0hv said:
I served my apprentership in Cumbria and all the walls there where random stone and nothing was plumb.

Matty - That's a bit mean! It is difficult to build mud huts nice and square you know!! :wink: :wink:

Whereabouts in Cumbria did you do your learning BTW??

Mark

Latest posts

Back