Fitted desks - birch plywood? Basic design?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gidon

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I have a retail shop with the back room where we do the computer repairs. Over the last 5 years I've used old desks etc but I need to sort this properly.

I was thinking of 19mm birch ply running all around. I'm sure I could hack something together but a couple of questions if anyone can help:

1. Where can I get birch ply from. I have got from Edens before in Liskeard (?) - they were brilliant but are no longer around. Am in West Devon nr Tavistock.
2. Is there another material you can suggest. Need to sort quickly - which led me to birch - since can leave edge looks good in my opinion. Room is 5mx5m. Around 15m of benching ( a bit less). Around 80mm deep.
3. What's the correct way of supporting the benching? Batten round the back - just right angled pieces of birch for support? Or some form of leg? Any advice much appreciated!
4. Finishing suggestions - can you buy this pre finished. As you can see need to get this done quickly and easily!

Many thanks!

Gidon

I use these folks
http://www.timber-cut.co.uk/index.html
In Exeter on the Marsh Barton industrial estate.
I take it you mean 800mm deep... otherwise I'd suggest kitchen worktop instead. Birch ply won't be cheap, and will need finishing. Maybe moisture resistant mdf would be a good option. Smooth, solid and doesn't need further treatment.

Dee

gidon":1jd526kt said:
Hi all

I have a retail shop with the back room where we do the computer repairs. Over the last 5 years I've used old desks etc but I need to sort this properly.

I was thinking of 19mm birch ply running all around. I'm sure I could hack something together but a couple of questions if anyone can help:

1. Where can I get birch ply from. I have got from Edens before in Liskeard (?) - they were brilliant but are no longer around. Am in West Devon nr Tavistock.
2. Is there another material you can suggest. Need to sort quickly - which led me to birch - since can leave edge looks good in my opinion. Room is 5mx5m. Around 15m of benching ( a bit less). Around 80mm deep.
3. What's the correct way of supporting the benching? Batten round the back - just right angled pieces of birch for support? Or some form of leg? Any advice much appreciated!
4. Finishing suggestions - can you buy this pre finished. As you can see need to get this done quickly and easily!

Many thanks!

Gidon

Gidon

Are you just looking for a benchtop or are you looking to use the space below for storage? If so, what type of storage do you need?

Terry.

Very sorry chaps - I missed both these replies!

I've still not sorted it.

Kitchen worktop would be too shallow unfortunately. Will check out timber-cut ...

Yes do need storage - but will probably have to do that as a second phase!

Thanks

Gidon

Have you considered melamine faced mdf? It sounds awful, but we have it at home for our built in computer desk and I'm verry happy with it. It is about 25mm thick, the edges are not covered which means you don't have to worry about cutting down.

It is obviously pre-finished, very durable and will take a bit more to mark it than plywood.

Beach Bros in Exeter (I have found them cheaper than the other link above) usually stock Birch ply. Their price to me includes delivery. Given a quick run over with a sander & couple of coats of Osmo oil will look good and is durable.

PM me if you would like further help.

gidon":2k91umly said:
Kitchen worktop would be too shallow unfortunately. Will check out timber-cut ...

Yes do need storage - but will probably have to do that as a second phase!

Thanks

Gidon

Gidon

1. you need 'breakfast bar' or 'peninsular' worktop @ 900mm - it's double edged and you just cut off one edge to trim it to the full width you require. Homebase etc will stock it. It will cost more than a simple melamine sheet or ply but it's a 'finished product' etc etc

2. it makes a lot more sense to install any 'worktop' on cheap kitchen units in the first place. Because of the huge market you can get carcasses for pretty much material costs! Whether you choose to add doors etc is another matter...even if I was only using 18mm melamine chipboard as my worktop (cheapest option) I would use a few kitchen cupboard carcasses to install it. I made the mistake of installing the last one from a 600 kitchen worktop on wall battens and a framework of 2x2 timber, later adding draws, doors etc and cursing my initial decision every time I had to scratch build the next element!

If you are buying 8' x 4', (2440 x 1220), the temptation might be to make a cut parallel to the long edge.
This will leave quite a bit of waste.
However if you cut the sheet into 3 the other way around, no waste!
Personally I'd have a full length front rail, set back from the edge, to take power and other supplies. That would also stiffen the edge.
A similar rail across the wall just above floor or skirting height, and a diagonal strut, or triangular frame, from upper front to lower back at reasonable spacing. Such an arrangement would make it easy to get under there for cleaning, picking up dropped screws etc..
xy

Thanks - some very helpful info.

I had considered melamine faced chipboard - in fact still have a fair bit left over from another job - but maybe a bit saggy? Will have to check the price of melamine faced MDF - thanks Craigus.

Charlie - will give Beach Bros a ring - how much have you had to order for free delivery and what sort of discount can you expect off published prices? And many thanks for offer of help.

Jumps - that is an option I'd not considered. I'm a little unsure of the look it'll give - a bit chunky for what I want / like. But agree may make economic sense - and easy to get hold of which is a biggy!

What's the standard way of installing something like this - if not on top of carcases?

xy - that is a good tip on cutting the sheets. Not sure I quite the design suggestion but will try and figure out tonight / tomorrow!

Many thanks!

Gidon

gidon":okpglv4t said:
Thanks - some very helpful info.

Charlie - will give Beach Bros a ring - how much have you had to order for free delivery and what sort of discount can you expect off published prices?

Gidon

I get 25% off and on odd occasions have bought a single sheet. Ask for Michael Beach, one of the owners, always helpful, but as you can imagine sometimes very busy.

Back