Fisherman's priest

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenneth.hilton

Still learning
Reaction score
I was asked to make a fisherman's priest for a friend.
Now not being an angler I had no idea so had a look online for ideas. So had a plan in my head and started turning.
My first attempt looked more like a billy club :eek: So when my friend gave a better idea of what it was meant to be like I turned one that he was delighted with.

However I was not Shure what finish to use so finished with sanding sealer and stick wax. Obviously it going to be around water so I wondered should I just have used oil instead?

IMG_2311.JPG

Honestly, I clicked in here as I didn't know what a 'Fishermans Priest' is. I thought it was some religious Icon of the sea or something....
And I was wrong...
From Wikipedia...

A priest (poacher's, game warden's or angler's "priest"), sometimes called a fish bat, or "persuader" is a tool for killing game or fish.
The name "priest" comes from the notion of administering the "last rites" to the fish or game. Anglers often use priests to quickly kill fish.

Well... Today I learned something.

Honestly, I clicked in here as I didn't know what a 'Fishermans Priest' is. I thought it was some religious Icon of the sea or something....
And I was wrong...
From Wikipedia...

A priest (poacher's, game warden's or angler's "priest"), sometimes called a fish bat, or "persuader" is a tool for killing game or fish.
The name "priest" comes from the notion of administering the "last rites" to the fish or game. Anglers often use priests to quickly kill fish.

Well... Today I learned something.
Exactly. Not the cute, cuddly image I was expecting. Then again, as a fish eater I shouldn't be so squeamish. Haha.

But 'Persuader' is a whole different level of euphemism. Not heard that one either.

I was asked to make a fisherman's priest for a friend.
Now not being an angler I had no idea so had a look online for ideas. So had a plan in my head and started turning.
My first attempt looked more like a billy club :eek: So when my friend gave a better idea of what it was meant to be like I turned one that he was delighted with.

However I was not Shure what finish to use so finished with sanding sealer and stick wax. Obviously it going to be around water so I wondered should I just have used oil instead?

View attachment 161332
what you can do is bore/drill from bottom a way up inside then load with lead shot etc then seal with likes of 2 pack then can plug it

we used to have a trout farm near me in Herts.......
u pick the fish then they pop em in a small tank n electrocute them.......!!!!!!!
thick the priest is a better way.....

life's is a bit grim but u gotta eat.......

Back