First try at plane making.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
John - nice looking plane. I particularly like the way you've used a solid piece of gauge plate for the base rather than a piece of channel. I tried to make a low angle shoulder plane in exactly the same way as your one a while back but I tried to epoxy on some stainless steel to the sides and bottom to form a channel....didn't work 'cos as Newt explained to me, stainless steel oxidizes almost immediatly and so is just about impossible to glue. However, seeing what you've done with a thick steel base has set me thinking again :-k . I think the overall appearance could be improved by making the wedge a little smaller and it's a real shame that you dinged the top with the router cutter...looking forward to seeing what else you make. By the way welcome to the UKWFPMS (UKWorkshop Forum Plane Makers Society) which currently has eight members..Philly, Tony, Ian D, Derek of Oz, PeteM, Alf, me and now you :D - Rob

Excellent presentation John, and a working tool to boot, if that's the first then those to follow are going to give some people around here a bit of competition :lol:

Very nice.
I've been putting this off for so long, but seeing as there's a society now :) I better get on with it eh?

Cheers Mike

Very nice. I made mine out of one piece your method looks a better solution. Keep us posted regarding the attachment of the metal sole, I am currently experimenting with different adhesives with brass onto wood. As wood bloke mentioned stainless steel can be difficult but I may get some info from Ciba Gigy on this.

Looks good, John. =D> Think the blade's thick enough...? :D

woodbloke":2h7dpn72 said:
By the way welcome to the UKWFPMS (UKWorkshop Forum Plane Makers Society) which currently has six members..
... that Rob can remember... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1l5wdkxg said:
Looks good, John. =D> Think the blade's thick enough...? :D

woodbloke":1l5wdkxg said:
By the way welcome to the UKWFPMS (UKWorkshop Forum Plane Makers Society) which currently has six members..
... that Rob can remember... :wink: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Correct.....all applications to this august society welcome tho' :lol: - Rob

nice work john, and if you did not mention it, everybody would think the round was a special place to put your fingers,not a ding :twisted: :roll:

would seem that the only real problem is ensuring that the gauge plate does not rust too much particularly on the base.

how do you find that it moves over the wood, and have you put any lubricant on it???

so the next question is does being a member of the plane making forum provide a way in which they can be valued for later :lol: :?

looks nice though

paul :wink:

Thanks guys and gals.

Alf, I was a bit worried about chatter with such a thin blade but it seems OK. :D

Paul, I don't think rust will be any worse on the gauge plate than on any other metal in the workshop. It has a coat of paste wax so should be OK.

newt, I will let you know if the sole falls off. I made sure it was grease free before gluing and the gauge plate has a good keyed surface for the epoxy.

Rob, I am not worried about the mistake with the router, I tend to concentrate on making tools that work and don't worry too much about appearance. This wouldn't be any good if I was selling them but is fine for my use. My router table and mitre saw station are the same, made from any old ply/chipboard/mdf that I had lying about, they ain't pretty but they work. Not everbodies way of doing it but each to their own.

John-currently planning a metal soled plane about No 4 size with an adjustable throat.

really nice plane John, is the sole screwed into the body or just glued?

Pete, what else can I say? simply wonderful. I made many planes but the scraping one is missing. Any advice or coloser photo to help me?

regards

Giacomo

John
Bravo - a very nice little plane!
Incidentally, although I too use the lamination method a lot, it is easy to cut the mortise for the tang using a benchtop mortiser and a wedge for the correct angle. A piece of cake to do, and far quicker.
Hope this helps
Philly :D

Alf":qdmmml65 said:
woodbloke":qdmmml65 said:
all applications to this august society welcome tho' :lol: - Rob
In that case I apply, although not even in the same ballpark as Pete's standard :D
http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/album/ ... ane006.jpg
http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/album/ ... lplane.jpg
http://www.cornishworkshop.co.uk/album/ ... rplane.jpg
http://cornishworkshop.blogspot.com/200 ... plane.html

Cheers, Alf
Nice planes, post amended :lol: - Rob

Latest posts

Back