First try at plane making.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
well i don't know all you guys making your own planes, soon you will be able to trade part of your carbon footprint because you are using so much wood, and not very much metal :lol:

seriously thought it is a good way to get recycling organised without wasting parts from the car boot buys.

i wonder in fact whether making your own woodies is any longer a process than refurbishing a metal one :?

paul :wink:

Engineer One wrote:
i wonder in fact whether making your own woodies is any longer a process than refurbishing a metal one
.... making woodies is ever so much slightly shorter :wink: - Rob

actually rob if the first one takes slightly less long, then imagine what it will be like when you get used to it :twisted:

the important thing though is you are making a plane for yourself, and your own circumstances, not just modifying a mass produced item.

seems to me something we must all aim for.

Hi, Giacomo

Here are some close ups

exploded parts (ooh sounds painful)

DSCF0002.jpg

Adjuster

DSCF0003.jpg

Blade clamp

DSCF0005.jpg

Shavings

DSCF0011.jpg

The sole is welded to the sides and the adjuster post is also welded to the base (best to do it first) the rest is all just parts riveted together. The infill is yew, glued and screwed in, the holes for the screws are slightly counter sunk and the heads are filed off. The blade is O1 steel hardened in the barbeque with the help of a hair dryer (not mine don't need one any more) and tempered in the oven, I need to re-temper it as I am having problems with the edge fracturing you can hear it crackling when I roll the hook, so I guess it must be to hard, saying that if you do it lightly it lasts quite well and leaves a very smooth finish great for interlocking grain like this quarter sawn Iroko box made as a wedding present.

DSCF0028.jpg

DSCF0034.jpg

Pete

engineer one":3l0knh5g said:
well i don't know all you guys making your own planes, soon you will be able to trade part of your carbon footprint because you are using so much wood, and not very much metal :lol:
I have fingers crossed that carbon quotas will be introduced and I'll be able to live on the proceeds of selling mine to some rich businessman (no air travel, no car, all those hand tools :D ) Trouble is I'll probably have to resign myself to no tropical hardwoods too. ](*,)

Cheers, Alf

well serious question, what uk woods are these days apt for woodies????

i guess in part an infill can use pretty rubbish outsides, as long as the infill is quality, or am i looking up the wrong end of the telescope???

Lovely job john, not seen a shoulder plane made that way before and I have been considering building one in a similar manner - very interesting to see one already built :D

thanks a lot Paul, the scraper will be my next project, a cold beer is waiting for you in my workshop!

cheers

giacomo

Back