first time poster long time reader. Band saw woes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirtyepic

Established Member
Reaction score
Firstly hello,

i am fairly new to carpentry but have been in engineering for 15 years or so, so i was looking for a break from the day to day rivers of stainless steel i see.

i have built a few things now including an oak bbq table for my BGE. mortise, tenon and dowel joints. and was very pleased. on and on........

i purchased a second hand scheppach bassato 3 vario last weekend and have been playing with in in the garage for the last few nights.

i was hoping to be able to cut some metals on this as well so i have been experimenting with the Vario element of the machine, to try to slow down the blade. on adjusting it it didn't seem to make a massive difference. this was late on last night so after trying to take the speed back up all i ended up with was a lumpy blade feed. it felt wrong......... Queue thinking about it and looking today and it seems that the rear support for the v belt pulley was made of some paper mache' with spome aluminum in it. it has cracked three quarters of the way round the root of the pulley and is to all intensive purposed F!@#$&G F!@#$D. humph.

so to my question. has anyone any experience of these saws? is this common? i have googled and seemingly come up with no joy. i have found parts breakdowns for the machine but the bits that i want do not have official part numbers. powertoolspares have the drawings, and they show the drawing for the machine. the part i want is 51 if possible. but as i say no part numbers are listed for any of the vario drive coupling

i am not giving up totally as they are still sold and must be available. but as it was this shoddy in the first place why would i buy another when i could make it variable speed using solid pulleys that i had to change manually. i think mostly always it would want to be around the 750mpm so why do i not replace it with a robust pulley in the first place.

thanks for reading and any comments welcome.

NMA are the Scheppach people copy and paste below
all the best
rob
Contact us
Trading and postal address
Unit 1
Brookfoot Business Park
Brighouse
West Yorkshire
HD6 2SD

T: 44 (0)1484 400 488
F: 44 (0)1484 711 012
E: [email protected]

Lots of parts on amateur equipment are made from what some engineers refer to as "monkey" metal. Poor strength castings that are very cheaply made and easily broken. I have a Record Power belt and disc sander and I've had to replace a number of these cast "metal" parts with home made versions made from better materials. My advice is to save your money and produce a home made solution if you can or buy a better made second hand industrial machine like an old Startrite. We get what we pay for and a lot of woodworking machines are a fraction of the cost when they were solidly made. You can do good work on cheap machines though if you're careful or lucky and don't push them too hard.

Latest posts

Back