first router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi all just joined this forum i have just purchased the jcb pr12 router, but as yet have not used it at all , but the manual states largest diameter cutter thet can be used is 36 mm though.

does anyone have any info on making/purchasing some sort of table that i can affix to a portable workbench to be able to use the router with.

thank you

Welcome to the forum, Mick.

How about this, this, this or this? But I certainly agree with Noel that it's worth getting hold of a book on the subject; that'll help you get the most from your purchase and go into guards and such which most of these links are a bit lacking on. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

thanks noel have ordered a couple of books from local libery to peruse first
thank you for info

I still use my first router every day - Its a Bosch POF 600 and although I have a DW625 as well I find that I can't beat it for arrissing and rounding over door and panel edges. Its light enough for me to use with one hand without danger of tipping and it does the job well.

Sure its noisy and dust extraction isn't great but I used it as my only router until last year and its still going strong - The only thing thats wrong with it is that the pin slot to stop the collet turning for bit changing sheared ages ago. SInce I only change bits to sharpen them or switch from bevel to round over it doesn't bother me.

I think I paid about £100 as well which I don't think is cheap for 1/4 router but I think we must be careful about confusing cheap with bargain and also suitability for purpose. If you are going to be flogging up and down motorways all day then a BMW 750i is probably what you need but if you are only going to the shops and back then a Hillman imp maybe just the ticket. :wink:

T

My 2 cents worth on this topic is that cheap and nasty routers can be a dodgy investment, I had one that the collet nut sheared on while in use, luckily the bit decided to hit the wall and not me :shock:

I now have the Draper version of the T5 and a 1/2" Axminster model. The T5 clone is faultless, the Axminster is always in the table, but noisy, and the plunge lock sucks.

If I was starting now, and with hindsight always being 20/20, the offer in the latest trend Catalogue of a T3 with a 12 bit trend cutter set for 55 pounds would be my option, and if you want to upgrade, keep an eye out for a decent 1/2" later, as others have said, a lightweight 1/4" will always come in useful.

les

quite agree with you re hindsight, have done a lot of searching on the internet re routers etc, but only since purchasing the jcb one, it soon was rather apparent that brands like trend carry a vast range of spares and accessories.

had i known beforhand that i could purchase say trend t3+cutters for modest £55 i would have taken this route.

i have in fact just purchsed online the trend t3 £39 with postage from rutlands and recieved today a set of draper 1/4 bits i previousy ordered

so my total outlay in all is approx £100 , so i now need to make some use of what i have purchased,

thanks all

Hi Mick

The Trend T3 will be a good place for you to start with a light router.

When you build up your cutters it's worth looking at Wealden's as they are good quality at reasonable prices.

IMHO don't buy 1/4" cutters for the T3, get 8mm as they cost the same but are much stronger due to the thicker shank.

Hope you enjoy it.

Cheers
Neil

Hello all . New to this and put in a question on routers / routing earlier today . need one to straighten out worn drawer slider grooves on a chest of drawers. Never used a router . Will the Trend t3 be ok for the job , or are there any better ? And any advice for doing this . Don't think I will be using it too often afterwards , so not looking to overspend !! Cheers , Andy .

EDITED, BASED ON RECENT REQUEST...

... Drawer slides: suggest you find out carefully why they're sticking in the first place. Lubrication might help, for example a bit of candle wax or talcum powder can work very well (not both together!)

I'd suggest that re-routing is a bit heavy-handed, never mind the possibility of ruining the drawers. \First have a REALLY good look at the problem - check things for straightness, clearances, etc.. See where the wear marks are.

Then perhaps ease the runners with fairly fine abrasive, clean and lubricate as discussed.

If you're completely stuck, you're in Bristol, so PM me.

E.
----------------------------------------------
The POF 600 is now my go-to for 1/4" and 8mm work, with a Trend T11 for heavy stuff (it lives in the router table). I also have a Power Pro (I think) from B+Q. It's 1/2" but really cheap and nasty - the depth stop no longer locks properly, and it's prone to random speed changes. Currently in the attic - must get around to throwing it out.

My first was the POF500, which I have as a spare and has been incredibly useful down the years. I recently got a POF600 from the bay, which is the variable speed version (otherwise identical). The old Bosch ones (20+ years) have rock solid Swiss-made motors and bearings - dunno about the present generation - and will take the fences from Trend routers too. Trend's nice, micro-adjustable fence is hardly ever used on the T11, but it was designed to also fit the T4/T5, which have the same bar spacing as the Bosch. The bar diameter is different, but... the bars from my Power Pro fit the fence so it can be used on all my routers :)

A bit of useful advise for the OP before this topic descends into complete rants...

I would recommend purchasing a half inch router as your first (or only) router as most commonly available (reads cheaper) bits are half inch. Also if you want or need to use a quarter inch shank bit, you can fit a reducing collet.

My first router was a bosch quarter inch router, bought on a bit of a whim years ago before I knew anything about them. Unfortunately the first job I wanted to use it for required a half inch router bit so it was useless! That router is currently still sat in its box having never actually touched a piece of wood!!

axebuilder-albums-miscellaneous-picture52670-holy-thread-resurrection-batman.jpg

Years ago I bought a small and large router deal by Ferm I think it was called, as I was looking for something cheap and cheerful. Absolute garbage. Burnt the larger machine out and a bit broke off the smaller one.

If you're thinking about routing a lot, then forget the cheap rubbish. You're throwing your money away.

I have a couple of routers - a large beast that sits permanently in my table. But I also bought a couple of years ago, the Dewalt D26204k - a combination router. An absolutely brilliant piece of kit. You can use it as a small single hand held machine for scrolling type work, or you can fit it into a base for two handed plunge type routing.

Two machines for the price of one.

Only issues is that it's the smaller quarter inch collet size. So if you are entering the larger power intensive moulding/joint cutting arena, then it'll struggle. So you'll need the larger half inch sized routers.

An excellent machine to get you started.

Cheers

Jonny

This thread originated 1n 2004 so I would like to ask a question which is from November 2015 on the same topic. I visited my local wickes today and they have an own brand Router for £99. Wickes 1500 Router. has anybody any experience of this model. I have bought Wickes own brand goods before a 4 inch grinder and a 9inch Grinder both of which have been used at what I describe as more than Hobby use and have found them satisfactory , as a result I am thinking of trying their own brand router. the use would be limited and really just an experience builder.
Russell

Alder":2xqt7yp2 said:
This thread originated 1n 2004 so I would like to ask a question which is from November 2015 on the same topic. I visited my local wickes today and they have an own brand Router for £99. Wickes 1500 Router. has anybody any experience of this model. I have bought Wickes own brand goods before a 4 inch grinder and a 9inch Grinder both of which have been used at what I describe as more than Hobby use and have found them satisfactory , as a result I am thinking of trying their own brand router. the use would be limited and really just an experience builder.
Russell

Wickes router: 99 quid. Secondhand value? probably next to nothing.
Trend, Bosch, Makita, Hitachi, DeWalt, etc. - possibly a bit more, secondhand value: probably quite a bit.

There's a reason for that. Even if only trying out routing, get something decent (even secondhand), and you won't be frustrated. My first router was fixed speed and it's OK (I still have it), but I'd always get varispeed now, as it needs to be different depending on the wood and the type of cutter.

My first 1/2" router was a cheap one from B+Q it wouldn't stay locked at a specific depth, and eventually the speed control failed too.

Spend slightly more, even on a 1/4" one, and you'll find out how handy they really are.

E.

PS: don't skimp on really cheap cutters, for the same reason, especially those tempting sets that come in handy cases, etc. Buy the ones you'll actually use from a good supplier (Wealden comes to mind) - you'll find that way you wont waste money on ones you never use (but we all do!).

Hi fella's. Well I'm in a similar situation and I'm looking to buy my 1st router. As always, money is tight so I'm looking to buy 2nd hand (times R hard). I've looked at some and discovered that are not always what they seem. I'm looking to fit my own kitchen and have bought the neccessary worktop jig. But I've learned that some routers are NOT suitable for jig use. So my preference is leaning toward a Erbauer 2100w. I've looked at other cheaper models and to be quite honest? the things I've read about them from people like you? it makes me want to back away from them. Any inside info and/or possible other routers you think would be ok to buy? would be grateful. Thanks and tc now Mick.D

The Hitachi M12V2 is ideal for kitchen fit outs, comes with the required 30mm bush needed for a worktop jig, its powerful enough for any work and can be found on e-bay at reasonable cost.

Mike

Back