First project from learning lurker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brianhabby":3gancf77 said:
Nice toy box - and for a first project, excellent.

Interesting (to me anyway) you chose a toybox as your first woodworking project to take you away from IT. My son who is in the same line of work made a toybox as his first project too! link

Must be something about working with computers :)

regards

Brian

Hi Brian, i believe there are a lot of similarities with woodworking and computers, in both its all about being logical in your approach and accuracy in your execution, small errors in both often lead to far bigger issues. So i thin kid you can program a computer you have proven you have a logical brain and as we know logic can be applied to many things in life.
The big difference is with woodworking you end up with something tangible, which is so much mor rewarding then something that only exists 'virtually'.

Great box your son has made too... =D>

Excellent job. My lad is called Elliot (with just one 'T'). He enjoyed making bits in my workshop with me as he grew, I hope your Elliott does the same. Your comment about persuading the wife into letting you have a planer thicknesser created an image in my head of you at the top of the Cresta Run. (Very long slippery slope). Whatever happens stay away from planes, there is no cure for the addiction.

Good luck and well done.

Scottlefley" i have a table saw said:
That's quite a haul, you sure this is your first project :)
I brought a planer/thickesser, more because I just wanted one, rather than having a specific need (maybe working on computers all day has us longing for things that move and make noise). It has been useful but to be honest is far from recouping it's cost. I did have the idea of using it on my ever increasing pile of planks found on the beach but it's quite risky with nails and grit embedded in them. The deciding factor for you might be where most of your wood is sourced from. If you can find a nearby mill with a good stock of planed timber it may not be worth it. If however you have a source of rough sawn timber, maybe form a local tree surgeon or reclaim yard (or beach) then it could prove very useful. I would suggest that if you do intend to use old timber you check the price of blades (mine are expensive), get a metal detector and a look at how you might sharpen chipped blades.

Good job by the way, love the personalization

Back