First post...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brokentechie

Reaction score
Hello all,

New boy here, my total woodworking experience is about zero, followed by a couple of hours messing around on my mates dad's lathe with some cherry I think about 23 years ago.

I was quite proud of the bowl I made (about the size of a tobacco pipe bowl!)

I'm here to learn turning, specifically small bowls (lidded and open) shaving brush handles, portafilter handles, and maybe even traditional razor handles.

I think I'm having a mid life crisis, well at least SWMBO does!

I guess I'm looking for advice on a complete unknown, I'm not totally without skill of hand, I'm an airframe engineer by trade, so I can hand-work metal down to pretty fine tolerance (+- 0.04 mm) and the pieces I'm envisioning are not massive.

I guess I need a lathe, tools, a decent saw (hand or band?) and maybe a pillar drill?

I know I have a lot to learn, but I need a winter hobby, I do a spot of fishing in summer (fair weather) and a project - one that preferably earns a few extra pounds wouldn't go amiss either (I'm also looking at making artisanal soaps, specifically shaving soaps, male and female) and I'd like to make little sample pots to send out.

Well that's the big plan, so far I have little budget, an idea to join the local interest group that was mentioned here (I'm in Bristol and need to find the thread again) so I can get my skills up and hopefully get this show on the road.

Can anyone recommend some more information and sources for me to start doing my homework?

Thanks for making it this far and I look forward to making a lot of new acquaintances

BT

Buy Keith Rowley - Woodturning - A Foundation Course. (Waterstone's Marketplace have one for 71p +P&P atm).
Join a club BEFORE you start to spend money.
(Both the above are bog standard advice which will be repeated by all and sundry :D )

I have the book ordered already, and I've found Avon and Bristol wood turners association!

The courses look good, although difficult as I'm full time, my first outlay I'm looking at is some formal (or informal) training!

brokentechie":214lukjd said:
I'm looking at is some formal (or informal) training!
Undoubtedly the best start is a day or two of tuition with a professional tutor.
A professional course should get you up to a basic level of competence and ensure you don't get into any bad habits or work unsafely. You'll also get good advice on what you need or don't need to buy, possibly even a discount on goods purchased too.

Whilst the club movement has it's evangelists here, they won't suit everyone.

Hi BT and welcome to the forum.
From my experience, having spent 40yrs in the aerospace industry, the most difficult thing you will find is that (in general) 0.5mm error doesn't matter and as you will be the design authority, can readily approve changes without MRB sign off! It is a different way of life and totally addictive.
As Phil.p said, do get Keith Rowley's book, a wealth of information.
However, you must remember that if you want to make a small fortune from woodturning, you have to start with a large fortune.
Other than that ENJOY!

Dave

Dave Brookes":24pz5ntj said:
Hi BT and welcome to the forum.
From my experience, having spent 40yrs in the aerospace industry, the most difficult thing you will find is that (in general) 0.5mm error doesn't matter and as you will be the design authority, can readily approve changes without MRB sign off! It is a different way of life and totally addictive.
As Phil.p said, do get Keith Rowley's book, a wealth of information.
However, you must remember that if you want to make a small fortune from woodturning, you have to start with a large fortune.
Other than that ENJOY!

Dave

Thanks for the lovely welcome!

I suppose I'm not after a small fortune but would like to start a commercial concern - even if it's on a small scale and pays for itself/other hobbies!

I also want to look into resin turning too as my skills progress.

I have been looking at lathes too - I want to buy used, and I understand Record are reasonable - can anyone give any advice here?

I will not be buying until I have undertaken some training, but if I have an idea of what I should be looking for then it won't do any harm I'm sure to browse the bay and a sticky tree looking (dreaming!) so I can learn to separate the wheat from the chaff so to speak!

BT

As Rhossydd said, a day or two with a pro is great (if you can afford it) but you will get more ideas from speaking to a few dozen turners, all of whom have slightly different ideas and most of whom have different abilities and machines. It pays to have some experience first, anyway, before buying anything : what you think now will be perfect might not be so appealing six months down the line. We rarely end up where we intend to. You will probably be steered towards a CL3/4 - if you pick a decent one up second hand, you can always sell it on without much loss. I don't like them much, but I can see the plus points.

phil.p":b60ke3fn said:
As Rhossydd said, a day or two with a pro is great (if you can afford it) but you will get more ideas from speaking to a few dozen turners, all of whom have slightly different ideas and most of whom have different abilities and machines. It pays to have some experience first, anyway, before buying anything : what you think now will be perfect might not be so appealing six months down the line. We rarely end up where we intend to. You will probably be steered towards a CL3/4 - if you pick a decent one up second hand, you can always sell it on without much loss. I don't like them much, but I can see the plus points.

Alas I am one of Cameron's "generation rent" - I have a garage (with no power but easily accessible with an extension) and I really can't see me needing more than 24" between centres, so the CL3/4 is not for me - I have looked at a Record DML305 and it seems to get good reviews and even the possibility of an electronic VS version - I think this will be my benchmark to be honest.

It really will be small bespoke items I intend to make so better quality, smaller package will be my mantra as I need it to be easily moveable.

We are in the process of saving up for a house, but with the ridiculous prices in Bristol, and the sheer size of the deposit needed these days it will be some time.

As long as it's steady, able to turn smallish bits of hardwood and eventually resin then I shall be happy.

I'm looking into professional tuition - there are some nearby with good reviews for c. £120 for a day which I can live with.

From what I can remember my friends father was light on giving praise but he was pretty impressed with what I'd done considering I'd never turned before, so maybe, just maybe I can make this work.

Hi BT,

As you'll see from my profile, I'm in Nailsworth, not far from Stroud. I'm not a prof turner (as like you have a full time job in an engineering dominated company) but have been amateur / hobby turning for almost 10 yrs on and off.

I'd be happy to spend a day on weekend or coupe of evenings with you coming here to show you the basics and discuss kit / options / set-up etc. This may help you get going or at least give you some skills / appreciation that will allow you to get the best from a session with a prof tutor if you decide to go down that route in due course.

Drop me a PM or post here if that is something you'd like to consider and we'll sort something out, if not, no problem and I hope you enjoy this great craft.

BRgds

Simon

SVB":1yufjgxy said:
Hi BT,

As you'll see from my profile, I'm in Nailsworth, not far from Stroud. I'm not a prof turner (as like you have a full time job in an engineering dominated company) but have been amateur / hobby turning for almost 10 yrs on and off.

I'd be happy to spend a day on weekend or coupe of evenings with you coming here to show you the basics and discuss kit / options / set-up etc. This may help you get going or at least give you some skills / appreciation that will allow you to get the best from a session with a prof tutor if you decide to go down that route in due course.

Drop me a PM or post here if that is something you'd like to consider and we'll sort something out, if not, no problem and I hope you enjoy this great craft.

BRgds

Simon
Hi Simon,

That is a really generous offer, and as long as you are sure I will definitely take you up on it if I may.

I'm not sure on availability yet due to a rubbish memory and upcoming nuptials, however I know I will have some free time to come.

Overwhelmed.

No probs. I'll leave the ball with you. Drop me a PM with some dates / contact details when it suits and we'll see if we can sort something.

In the meantime, congratulations on your forthcoming marriage.

Simon

Back