first painful mishap, argh

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al3ph

Established Member
Reaction score
Coles jaws, sanding.. You can probably fill in the blanks.

Bit of blood, and two very sore fingers, luckily nothing broken, probably a good idea to see if theres someway of covering the buttons to stop this happening again, and yep I probably made the mistake of applying to much pressure on the sand paper hence the slip.

Won't make that mistake again, I'm assuming I'm not the first to come a cropper like this?

Anyway back to the iced water :)

Been there....
Ouch.
Isn't it incredible how stupid you feel immediately afterwards when you think about how obviously that was going to happen?

al3ph":2w2asyes said:
Coles jaws, sanding.. You can probably fill in the blanks.

I'm assuming I'm not the first to come a cropper like this?

Nope :oops:

I learned two lessons...
1. just cos you cant see the spinney thing doesnt mean its not there!
2. I wasted a ton of sand paper by applying too much pressure and at too high a speed before realising that if you need to apply pressure, you're using (wasting) too fine a paper!

I can't say I've ever contacted the cole jaws with the fingers - but that is probably because I'm very, very wary using them. They stick out further than the work and the metal segments have nasty sharp edges which are hard to see when they are spinning round, consequently extreme caution on my part. I also power sand such things where possible, aside from leaving fewer sanding scratches, it keeps the fingers further from the danger area - and yes I have taken a lump out the side of a foam sanding arbor by catching it on the cole jaws :-(

I have seen other turners cover the sharp metal corners & edges of cole jaws with gaffer tape or even with some kind of foam strip so that it's more of a bruise and less of a slice if contact is made with flesh.

Oh the joy of it and the beautiful Pain :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted:

I miss all that you know , nothing like a spinning lathe to keep you on your toes or in most cases your fingies .

Will it happen again ?? who knows it may or may not its up to you. :wink: :wink:

I've done it recently, slight distraction... quick glance away and WALLOP ... followed by 10 mins of swearing and patching knuckles.

I also did the trick where you leave the lathe chuck key in the chuck and switch it on. The cabinet door still has the scar from that.

Yeah chuck key is gonna happen, though I usually start the lathe on slow before spinning up to full speed (variable). So hopefully this one won't catch me out :)

Lee J":1e2433fb said:
I've done it recently, slight distraction... quick glance away and WALLOP ... followed by 10 mins of swearing and patching knuckles.

I also did the trick where you leave the lathe chuck key in the chuck and switch it on. The cabinet door still has the scar from that.

Yes foam pipe lagging or some such might work, though I think it was the buttons that got me, though it's a bit hard to tell as there are gaps between the sections as well. And also the ends, come to think of it these things are a bleedin health and safety nightmare :)

tekno.mage":1bsc3j7g said:
I can't say I've ever contacted the cole jaws with the fingers - but that is probably because I'm very, very wary using them. They stick out further than the work and the metal segments have nasty sharp edges which are hard to see when they are spinning round, consequently extreme caution on my part. I also power sand such things where possible, aside from leaving fewer sanding scratches, it keeps the fingers further from the danger area - and yes I have taken a lump out the side of a foam sanding arbor by catching it on the cole jaws :-(

I have seen other turners cover the sharp metal corners & edges of cole jaws with gaffer tape or even with some kind of foam strip so that it's more of a bruise and less of a slice if contact is made with flesh.

al3ph":1v5owcpi said:
........... come to think of it these things are a bleedin health and safety nightmare :)

once you have fully appreciated that you simply cannot make these things foolproof, safe for casual use or even 'safer' - you will have got the message #-o

safe practices and safety equipement are extremely important, but aren't enough on their own.

do I ever use it without my head gear?, have I ever leant over it whilst running to grab a tool from the shelf?, used just reading glasses on soe fine finishing cuts? just given a final dab with sand paper without a dust filter? (long term but still a risk) etc - sadly yes........

hope things feel better soon

boysie39":1arbzip6 said:
Oh the joy of it and the beautiful Pain :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :twisted: :twisted:

I miss all that you know , nothing like a spinning lathe to keep you on your toes or in most cases your fingies .

Will it happen again ?? who knows it may or may not its up to you. :wink: :wink:

Oh the heartfelt sympathy!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Benchwayze":75k0v92p said:
boysie39":75k0v92p said:

John believe me I do have sympathy with you and anyone else that gets a smack when working on the lathe . It's only by being extra careful that we don't have much more serious accidents . So when you get a *stinger* you have been very lucky that it was not much worse .Careful ,Careful ,Careful .

boysie39":3cyhuqvr said:
Benchwayze":3cyhuqvr said:
boysie39":3cyhuqvr said:

John believe me I do have sympathy with you and anyone else that gets a smack when working on the lathe . It's only by being extra careful that we don't have much more serious accidents . So when you get a *stinger* you have been very lucky that it was not much worse .Careful ,Careful ,Careful .

Hi Boysie...
I was being facetious of course.
I have had a knock now and then... :mrgreen:

I don't have a 'Cole' set-up, but thanks for the thought!
I had a surf to find out what these chucks look like. The one I saw was a home made job, and the jaws were made from 'rubber feet'; of the sort used on tool-boxes. I would have thought there wasn't so much danger though, if one is holding the paper underneath the revolving work. But as I said, I don't really know, and I feel for the OP! :shock:

Thanks again Eugene :D

Latest posts

Back