my first commission - comments please :) +FINISHED :)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miles_hot

Established Member
Reaction score
My wife mentioned her birthday bowl to one of the ladies at school and she asked if I would make a bowl for her.

She came around and had a look at some of the previous bowls (do any of you look at early bowls you were very happy with at the time and wince?) and we worked out her requirements:
1) a wood with pattern (she seemed able to see "pattern" in bowls with almost no grain but really liked yew and Padauk) so we chose a Padauk blank
2) the piece will be used to show off 5 duck egg sized stone eggs so should be more of a platter than deep bowl - max depth 15-20 mm
3) it will be placed around her shoulder height so the side view is important - she picked out a bowl which was fairly tall for it's height as an example
4) the platter should have some sort of inner rim to keep the eggs together in the middle and allow some of the wood to be seen even when the eggs are in place.
5) the inner area will be the same size as one of our side plates.

We will decide on the price when I know how long it has taken - this being the first time I've done this and I know I'll be slow and make mistakes :)

Anyway that's the requirements - this is the WIP:

As the blank is only 5-10 mm thicker than the final platter and the depth of the disk is less than my screw chuck I can't use the screw chuck, so I glued on an oak piece after truing the block as much as I could using some cole jaws.

Having turned the oak down to allow my dovetail jaws to grip it I turned the blank around and started on the shaping. During this process the glue chuck failed. I think this was due to the chuck being on the small side for the size of the blank but probably more because I hadn't put enough super glue (gel) in the centre of the scrap and had turned most of it away :oops:

So it was back to the cole jaws to turn a dovetail fixing having modified the design to include the footing (but to reverse turn the majority of it away - losing the 5-10mm extra unwanted space from the foot in the process). I have to say this makes me very nervous as the final thing will have a very thin rim - ah well nothing ventured....

With the blank trued and some ideas sketched down in a scale sketch I knew that I had to not go overboard on the depth of the disk as I couldn't afford to lose any height from the top of the blank. To help me I drilled a 15mm hole in the top of the blank. I then turned the rim of the platter as this will be thin before it flares back up to form the inner rim. I was worried that if I go too far in to the process the rim could become unstable. This was an uncomfortable process as it required some pretty good understanding and visualisation of what the final inner and outer shapes were going to be.

I also discovered that I had not considered the size of the actual jaws when working out how I was going to avoid using glue chucks. The non gripping elements of the jaws utterly obscured the bottom section of the bowl. The get around this I turned another dovetail socket in the top section of the bowl and re-mounted to shape the foot.

Having sanded (to 320 using the rotary sander) I then swapped the bowl around to finish the top section. For this bit I used some long nose jaws that I have to allow access to the foot area as I intend to apply the finish to the top and bottom at the same time, and obviously no longer have the socket in the dish section.

I have to say that with all the sanding to remove tear out the thickness of the rim has gone from the planned 5 mm to more like 2-3 mm :shock:. This does however still work and makes it look like an excellent piece of turning :)

As the client like the high shine (but still very tactile) finish on my wife's bowl I will be sticking with the Chestnut hard wax. So far I have applied the first coat with 320 paper. This was de-nibbed with 400 grade and the second coat applied with 400 grit. This was then de-nibbed after 4 hours with 400 and then polished by going through to 1000 as I could see sanding lines appearing after de-nibbing with 400. I suspect some are there from previous sanding however I am sure that some were from the 400 as they are no longer visible at 1000. The third coat has just been applied with a new sock and no sandpaper. I just went out to the garage and it is looking very glossy so hopefully it will not need sanding down again. EDIT: the gloss is fantastic but feels a little "coated" with the fingres dragging a bit on the surface. I will offer her the choice of this or knocked back a little with some sanding to remove the drag but will buffing give the shine without the drag?

I will take some more pics tomorrow, if only to record what happens before I attempt to reverse off the foot, catch a bit and destroy the work so far. :twisted:

I am considering buffing this bowl (and my wife's bowl) to increase the shin and remove any marks in the oil coat caused by attempting to remove excess too late (more than 3-4 mins after applying you can feel it dragging on the paper / cloth - so I fear there are marks in the finish coat) - firstly will this work on hard wax oil and secondly will it improve the finish?

Appreciate any comments as this is one heck of a learning curve and I need to get this out of the way as I will be attempting a "bowl from a board" in the next 8 days as a present for my Grandma using some of the last wood stored by my long departed Grandpa!

many thanks

Miles

The 'Drag' effect I guess is because the oil has not had time to cure (dry out and harden) whether buffing will speed this up and give you the results you want I don't know, (never buffed a 'wet' oiled surface) you may just get build up streaks or strip the glossy Varnish like layer off.

I have buffed oiled finishes up to a high gloss but that is several weeks after initial application. Not had chance to assess the new Chestnut hard oil this way.

What type of surface are the oiled items being stood upon, make sure the residual uncured oil does not affect the surface.

CHJ":15u308qs said:
The 'Drag' effect I guess is because the oil has not had time to cure (dry out and harden) whether buffing will speed this up and give you the results you want I don't know, (never buffed a 'wet' oiled surface) you may just get build up streaks or strip the glossy Varnish like layer off.

I have buffed oiled finishes up to a high gloss but that is several weeks after initial application. Not had chance to assess the new Chestnut hard oil this way.

What type of surface are the oiled items being stood upon, make sure the residual uncured oil does not affect the surface.

The bowl is on the lathe as I am waiting to understand if I need to sand off the top of the finish (say 600 grit) to remove the drag fator. It has been drying since about 20:00 last night and previous coats have been dry in under 4 hours so I don't think that it is wet. I have made the mistake of touching this stuff when it is actually wet and then it is tacky / grabby.

If buffing is an answer I will not sand and will reverse the foot off and then buff in a few days / next week. If on the other hand I should knock off the top of the finish I will leave it on the chuck and sand it before reversing the bowl.

Oh decisions, decisions - any help anyone can give would be gratefully received; I feel such a new boy at all this :) :)

Miles

The client came around and was very happy with the bowl and the feel / shine so I can back away from the buffing etc. Whilst handling it in the bright kitchen I did notice some drag marks where I'd obviously fiddled with the finish whilst it was drying / left it too long to remove the excess so I'll sand them away and give it (hopefully) the last coat.

After that I will be able to reverse the bowl to sort out the foot, goodness I hope that it doesn't fly off - I plan to use gaffa tape to hold it onto the cole jaws - is this a good plan or is the weaker masking tape a better bet?

Miles

Miles, why would you want to tape it on the cole jaws? Extra security or are you worried about nipping it in the cole jaws as its thin?
If you are going to tape it,masking tape is fine and cheaper to waste than gaffer tape,it also peels cleaner.

JT

johnny.t.":3dbllqf6 said:
Miles, why would you want to tape it on the cole jaws? Extra security or are you worried about nipping it in the cole jaws as its thin?
If you are going to tape it,masking tape is fine and cheaper to waste than gaffer tape,it also peels cleaner.

JT
Johnny

I am worried about both - I dare not nip it up tight for fear of stressing and breaking it but also I'm then worried about it flying off when I cut the bottom 5-8 mm off :(

Thanks for the confirmation that I should be using masking not gaffa (the cost is not an issue given what else Gaffa gets used for but the marking would be.

Miles

Hi Miles,

If you fear residue from tape, try using cling film !!!! - works for me and wont remove finishes ( masking tape will sometimes dependant on the brand i have found )

Nice bowl by the way :D

L

Related but not the problem.

May I suggest that being relatively new to the commissioning part of turning that you ensure that you have 2 blanks of the same timber, preferably side by side in the same plank?

If you do have an accident with the first blank then there is always the second to use instead, and NOT make the same mistake again!

It is rare for me nowadays to undertake a commission where the piece of timber chosen is the only piece available.

Regards, Peter.

PS. The bowl looks great!

I've started experimenting with Hard Wax Oil, and I've a feeling Chestnut recommend at least 48 hours before you can consider the finish really hard.

petercharlesfagg (UK)":wtmqgnl4 said:
Related but not the problem.

May I suggest that being relatively new to the commissioning part of turning that you ensure that you have 2 blanks of the same timber, preferably side by side in the same plank?

If you do have an accident with the first blank then there is always the second to use instead, and NOT make the same mistake again!

It is rare for me nowadays to undertake a commission where the piece of timber chosen is the only piece available.

Regards, Peter.

PS. The bowl looks great!
Sadly I only had the one blank of this stuff - so no pressure there then :) But a very good idea all the same and one to remember for future :)

Thanks for the comment on the bowl

Miles

loz":2i2qgnzk said:
Hi Miles,

If you fear residue from tape, try using cling film !!!! - works for me and wont remove finishes ( masking tape will sometimes dependant on the brand i have found )

Nice bowl by the way :D

L

Interesting idea - I'll do that. Thanks

Miles

If you feel that the clingfilm is not quite enough protection, put masking tape on over the clingfilm and get the best of worlds - that was a tip I was given by another turner in our club last year and I've found it works very well.

My own experiments with Chestnut Hard Wax Oil (applied to a three legged stool once the item was assembled & completed, so no chance of burnishing on the lathe) discovered that in the cool weather we are having at the moment, it's quite thick and gloopy to apply and whatever you apply it with will leave marks (brush marks in my case) and that the first coat onto bare wood dried hard in about a day with the piece left to stand just inside a nice sunny window. I was able to de-nib the first coat quite aggressively and the residual brush marks disappeared. The second coat took a good 48 hours to dry out in the unheated workshop. The flat top of the stool was dry after a day, but in some places where a slightly thicker coating of oil tends to build up - in the join where the legs fit into the top, and in the pyrographed signature on the bottom of the stool top, some oil remained sticky for another day.

I took the thing indoors to apply the final coat after denibbing again. In the warmth of the scullery, (where the boiler lurks) I found that the oil became considerably less thick and gloopy, was easier to apply and far less inclined to show brush or cloth marks. After leaving the stool in the warm for another 24 hours the stool was dry and the flat top had a subtle gloss sheen to it.

I've found low temperatures to be generally bad for most types of finishes and paints. I normally take pieces indoors to apply oil finishes and I always store my finishes indoors over the winter months. When it's really cold in the workshop (below 10 degrees C) even sanding sealer and melamine laquer take an age to dry and the result is never as good as the same finishes can give if applied at a more normal 18 - 20 degrees C. All of this is rather a pain if like me you have a draughty, unheated workshop and need to turn some Xmas pressies in November/December!

tekno.mage

After putting on 4 coats of Hard wax oil and each time having to sand it down again, this time to get rid of a run and some areas of excess because I was too scared to continue wiping to get rid of excess I've given up. I have to say that the finish would be utterly fantastic if I could get it to work, just look at the shine:

Having sanded off the imperfections and taken the finish back up to 1000 grit I reversed the bowl using the excellent advice above and turned the foot off.

I will update this thread with the finished shape soon.
I am going to buy a buffing kit tomorrow and see if I can buff some of that brilliant shine back in a few days when the hard wax oil has had more time to go hard.

Miles

Having bought the beal buffing kit from Tool Post (sadly I couldn't buy the Chestnut one as the bowl mops are not available) I got it home and plucked up the courage to turn a dovetail onto the shaft which holds the mops - just as easy as Peter had said it would be and had the advantages that 1) I didn't have to buy a Morse taper adaptor and 2) as it is held in the chuck I gain some more manoeuvring room between the bowl and the head-stock. To turn this Peter suggested using a dead centre (cone) to drive it and then I forgot to buy one so I turned a cone of oak which did a very good job.

Having prepared the wheels (80 grit sandpaper over a stick to knock off loose threads) and tried it out on a gash bowl I got stuck into the egg platter. The Tripoli was easy to see progress on, the white diamond less easy and I am fairly clueless on the wax but there's no arguing with the finish - seriously glossy and fantastic to look at and hold.

I'm pretty pleased with the thing, I would have preferred to be able to undercut the inner rim a little but lack tools / skill. Hopefully the client will like it - what do you think :)

Miles

an't fault the finish, great work,

Begin super critical though, i think the foot is too wide, and the step to the inner bowl to high. I think a more narrow foot with same height would have made a nicer curve in the side profile.

Saying that i know that photos never do an item justice !!!

A very enjoyable WIP though. Thanks for doing the thread Miles.

Regs

laurence

loz":1d8cc1bl said:
an't fault the finish, great work,

Begin super critical though, i think the foot is too wide, and the step to the inner bowl to high. I think a more narrow foot with same height would have made a nicer curve in the side profile.

Saying that i know that photos never do an item justice !!!

A very enjoyable WIP though. Thanks for doing the thread Miles.

Regs

laurence
Laurence

Thanks for the comments - I agree the foot could be a bit thinner for the ideal form however given that it will be carrying 5 stone eggs at chest height I think that the current foot will give a little more stability. Saying that I would still tend to agree and if I had the time again I would shave a little off I think...

The step up on the inner bowl is only about 3 many be 4 mm and any less and I'd have probably obliterated it in sanding :)

Glad you liked the thread.

Miles

Hi Miles,

The step looks much bigger on my screen, like 8 to 10 mil !

Like i said, photos of work rarely do justice !!!!!

Regs

laurence

Back