First Hollow Form

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loz

Established Member
Reaction score
HI All,

After getting a hollower from Blister ( top man ) last week I had a bash at the weekend. This is what I made. The piece is only 3 inch hight, about 5 inch dia.

The wall thickness is - erm - variable. - Between 2 mil to 5 mil, and a quick heavy base. - But was my first attempt.

I didn't concentrate ( obviously ) too much on the outer shape, was a messing session really.

Thanks

Loz

Nothing to be ashamed of there Loz. I like the fact that you have added some detail to the base. Often left plain but IMHO it helps to have soem decoration there. Looks more finished.

How smooth have you managed to get it inside? That's the hardest part IME

Pete

Another venture into the precarious position at the top of a steep sided branch of the slope there Loz, I believe it can be quite habit forming once you get over the swearing phase.

Bodrighy":26yee97d said:
How smooth have you managed to get it inside? That's the hardest part IME...

Something I feel obliged to get as good as possible too Pete, but I note that many items examined at presentations are often quite coarse inside and often disguised with matt black finish.

Looks nice Loz - my first attempt ended up as a two-piece,so you've already bettered me.. :oops:
I agree with Pete and Chas about the inside - like it to be reasonably well finished at least as far as my fingers can reach.

Andrew

HI,

The inside isn't bad actually, The hollowing tool was very nice to use on the inner sides ( to finish cut ) , i found the inner base hardest to get right, so i subsituted for my 1" round scraper to to clean that up.

The inside isnt sanded though, still working out what to build to get abrasives inside an object this shape !

loz":1zr4l9k3 said:
HI,

The inside isnt sanded though, still working out what to build to get abrasives inside an object this shape !

Get a stout piece of dowel, split in half part way down and thread your abrasive into it. Alternatively you can buy or perjhaos make?) velcro balls on sticks that you stick your abrasive to. They tend to be expensive however if I remember correctly. Whatever you do, if you are tempted to use your finger be very careful. Don't wrap the paper round your fonger and don't touch the edge, especially if it's thin wallrd DAMHIK :oops:

Pet

Bodrighy":wb9q4xgj said:
velcro balls on sticks
I love it !

and is now the project for the 8 year old .

I have some polystyrene in a block, so might get her to make me up a few different sizes/shapes.

Thanks !!!

loz":2b95n4l1 said:
Bodrighy":2b95n4l1 said:
velcro balls on sticks
I love it !

and is now the project for the 8 year old .

I have some polystyrene in a block, so might get her to make me up a few different sizes/shapes.

Thanks !!!

Don't let her see this or she might want an icreas in pocket money :lol:

Pete

Hi Loz,
I like that, I also bought a hollower from Allen (blister) and was 'playing' at the weekend with a piece of ash, but yours is far better than my attempt. Did you get much vibration whilst hollowing out ? I did, but put this down to my technique or the grain as I'm new to the hollowing 'slope' as well.

Steve :)

I made some of these for the inside of items that I couldnt, or wouldnt, put my fingers in.

A used a thin piece of dowel for the handle and turned a scrap piece of wood to the diamater I wanted for the head. I then stuck a piece of velcro to it on to which I can put the abrasive.

Since taking the photo I have also turned some ball shaped ones of different sizes and some odd shaped ones to get into odd shapes.

The velcro I got from John Lewis, about £2 a metre.

john

Steve Jones":336tmgio said:
Hi Loz,
I like that, I also bought a hollower from Allen (blister) and was 'playing' at the weekend with a piece of ash, but yours is far better than my attempt. Did you get much vibration whilst hollowing out ? I did, but put this down to my technique or the grain as I'm new to the hollowing 'slope' as well.

Hi Steve,

I was getting a little vibration, but keeping the rest right up to the work, i was able to keep it to a minimum, also lighter cuts, and a steeper angle of the cutting edge against the wood helped also.

Did you have a guide hole ? - Used a srew chuck to mount my work first, before reversing to hollow. I think having the guide hole helped a great deal.

Hi Loz,
I was doing pretty much the same as you, after calling in the local turning shop today for a chat and a bit of advice, I've been told it was most probably the grain in the ash blank.

So I bought a piece of sycamore to have another go ! ( didn't need much persuading either ) :D

Another tip for a DIY hollow form sander:

Cut a bunch of strips of paper; stack and clamp them, drill a hole through the mid-point, thread a bolt through the holes, fan the strips out in a starburst (there should be enough to overlap most of the length) tighten a nut down on the paper and mount the bolt into your electric drill.

... not my idea; came from a US website.

Latest posts

Back