First Big Boys Router

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Red

Established Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I recently managed to break the depth lock off my B&Q plunge router. I never particularly enjoyed using my router, especially in my makeshift table setup, but hear so many times that they are the best woodworking tool so I figure it must just be my experience with a cheap model.

I've done a lot of looking around and searching on the forum, but am still seeking a bit of advice on a router to purchase. I want a hand-held router that can plunge, but is also usable in a table. If I find that I start to use it more I may purchase another so they have dedicated role, so a router that's really good at one job and decent at another would be great. Also, ease of switching between the two would be a huge bonus.

To this end I'm favouring the Bosch GMF1400CE1 combination plunge and fixed base router (http://www.toollineuk.com/product.php/site/froogle/sn/0601617862) and I'll probably get the Dakota Deluxe router table from Rutlands to go with it.

However, I can't help but feel that there's a better alternative out there that I've missed. I'm especially jealous of the choice and prices available to the US! I could get a Porter Cable for £100 less, even after delivery and import taxes, but the power conversion is an issue. Maybe there's a cheap and easy way to deal with that issue that I'm missing?

I look forward to your responses.

I think you'll find the model you are favouringl is soon to be discontinued and is being replaced by the Bosch GMF 1600. I would have thought for the money you could get a more powerful router either a Makita, Dewalt or Trend one. Certainly the GMF1400 isn't very powerful for a 1/2 inch router.

As surryhills has said. Makita dewalt or trend can be got for reasonable money.
If you wanted to get a router from the US just cut the plug off and put on a yellow 110 plug and get yourself a 110v transformer and your good to go.

As much as I'd love a Porter Cable or the like I think the transformer issue makes it a no-go. The cost makes it all break even, and while I may get the benefits with a 2nd tool, it's then a heavy box to drag around behind me in and out of the workshop.

I have a DeWalt rail saw, which I think is the best purchase I ever made, and I know they do a router jig for the rails too, so I think I'll stick with DeWalt unless there's a compelling reason to go with someone else. And that does look like a good deal Dave, thanks.

The one thing that's still confusing me, is how to tell if a router has the ability to be adjusted from above the table?

Red":33hp2fxi said:
I have a DeWalt rail saw, which I think is the best purchase I ever made, and I know they do a router jig for the rails too, so I think I'll stick with DeWalt unless there's a compelling reason to go with someone else. And that does look like a good deal Dave, thanks.

The one thing that's still confusing me, is how to tell if a router has the ability to be adjusted from above the table?

Its dewalt drills you want to avoid, saws and routers are fine from them. To tell if a router has the above table height adjustment you would need to look at the base to see if there is a slot/hole/nut that does the adjusting. If your looking online it will tell you whether it has this feature or not. I agree 1400w for a 1/2 router is underpowered. 1800w min.

Any plunging router that has a fine height adjustment can effectively act as a fixed base router. If it was me I would go with the DeWalt thats identical to the trend t11 and purchase the extras which makes it fine height and above table adjustments as it works out cheaper than the t11. The T11 is a brilliant all round router but for the price, if mine every goes beyond repair ill be hunting down the dewalt version.

Red - yes the one you should go for is the DeWalt DW625Ek. As you aren't far from an Axminster branch you might want to pop in, see one and have a chat before committing to buy. When I looked around Folkestone Fixings were the cheapest at £220.

I would favour the makitas build quality I also have a trend and a de walt and both if them have managed to vibrate themselves to pieces on relatively light work where as I use my makita mainly for workflow and it's still going strong

I have a Dewalt 625EK mounted on a Trend MK3 CRT - it does any job I've thrown at it so far, nice piece of kit. I used the Trend adjuster which attaches in place of the Dewalt depth adjuster but operates from under the table rather than through it as the face plate gets in the way, it works fine.

Just to let you all know, I went to Axminster (great shop) and got hands on with the DeWalt and decided to get it.

With Axminster being £25 more than FFX I asked if they price matched. The guy said they did and we then found it on their site so he could confirm it. He then went off to confirm it with the boss, who said no "because we've had problems matching with Folkestone in the past". Neither me nor the sales guy understood what that meant, but it meant I was getting it from FFX. The order has been shipped and I'm hoping it's here for the weekend.

The Dewalt625 is the one I have decided I want. I have been using a Elu MOF 96E for the last 15 years or so and just got a second hand B&D KW850E for £15 as a secondary machine to give the Elu some time off. I can see why cheap machines put people off routing. I'd still like a very small one though, such as a Trend T4 or Bosch POF500, one that can be removed from it's plunge base and fitted into a drill stand or homemade pantograpgh or horizontal holder. These don't seem to come up cheap very often

After a weekend with some use of the router I can say that I'm very happy with the DeWalt. I was also pleased to find that it came with a 1/4 collet, so I can carry on using my crappy cutters until I replace them. Even with the old cutters the quality of the work is so much better.
Once I've built a few drawers I will unpack the table and see what mayhem I can cause with that.
Thanks for all the help

Back