Fireworks poll

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireworks

• Totally cool that anybody can buy and use them

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Organised displays are the only way to go

Votes: 42 68.9%

• Total voters

KevM

Established Member
Reaction score
Some 'highlights' from a rather grim fireworks safety video, which at first glance you might think was over the top, until you read about this poor 22 year old lad from Maine who paid a horrible price for a stupid drunken lark.

Please keep any discussion respectful; real people were killed and injured in this and other recent July 4th/November 5th/New Year's eve, ..., incidents.

Since 7/7 I've got funny looks buying Hydrogen peroxide. And forget about buying bottles any bigger than 125ml of the stuff. Come early October though and I can start buying any amount of explosives I like until the end of November, go figure. :roll:

woodpig":380kimtr said:
Since 7/7 I've got funny looks buying Hydrogen peroxide. And forget about buying bottles any bigger than 125ml of the stuff. :roll:

And there was me thinking you were a natural blonde!

We bought a couple of the large "cake" ones the first one decided after the first couple to set all the rest at once, we all scattered in different directions I saw one of the things that shoot up spinning round before exploding amongst us as we ran, we all got off with only minor injurys and took the other one back to the shop.

I don't buy fireworks any more, things can go wrong very fast.

Pete

Fireworks available to the public many years ago were of modest size. Sadly they seem to get bigger every year and the potential to seriously injur or even kill grows with it should things go awry.

Yes, that's the problem. The fireworks of today are a totally different animal to what we had as kids.

I remember a Crackerjack chasing my Dad around the yard as it went on its merry way. How we laughed. Today's fireworks are the equivalent of keeping lions as pets instead of a ginger Tom.

I'm not a father, but if I were, I'd say "C'mon kids, let's light some Sparklers, go watch a display and get some pizza on the way home". Just as much fun, much better show and a lot, lot safer.

I HATE fireworks. Every flash, every bang scares the living dung out of me. Me and many, many Veterans. I loath and detest the weeks prior to and after 5th November. Ban them. All of them.

Normally I don't like fireworks, but the 14th July here in Carcassonne when they do what they call the burning of the Cité is fantastic. Paris is the only display bigger and last year well over 250,000 people came from all over France to see it. I know a simple and easy way to drive in and out with just a 10 minute walk from the car to the view. Been to see it several time and enjoyed the wonderful atmosphere!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbG0SM0BsKo

It's the day after my birthday and the biggest fête in the calender. Great stuff!! No music, just the fireworks and the atmosphere!!

Thankfully only organised displays are legal now in NI. It has cut down but not totally done away with "street" bangers.

Although I am all for personal freedom I would find it hard to protest this particular piece of legislation.

Jonzjob":2zpmcvcn said:
Normally I don't like fireworks, but the 14th July here in Carcassonne when they do what they call the burning of the Cité is fantastic. Paris is the only display bigger and last year well over 250,000 people came from all over France to see it. I know a simple and easy way to drive in and out with just a 10 minute walk from the car to the view. Been to see it several time and enjoyed the wonderful atmosphere!!

It's the day after my birthday and the biggest fête in the calender. Great stuff!! No music, just the fireworks and the atmosphere!!

wow. that is definitely on my list of things to see before I die.

Love fireworks.

I used to volunteer to light them at our work November 5th display. Serious stuff from Kimbolton fireworks. Brilliant.

The first aid team were kept busy by the people burning themselves with sparklers.

I freaking love them :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
I like booms bangs flashes and all explosions. I absolutely love flames and fires, I'm hoping to do a full body burn for my next big birthday.
I'm a pyromaniac and I'm not ashamed of it.

On a more serious note, a state will ban fireworks but not ban guns :shock: The good old US of A :roll:

marcros":20syq12o said:
Jonzjob":20syq12o said:

If you like the fireworks then this is what it looks like in the day. A lovely place, if a BIT crowded about this time of year #-o #-o The Canal du Midi runs through the lower town too!! 2 world heratage sites within a mile of each other. Lucky ain't I 8) 8)

Many yearsago as a youngster I used to enjoy fireworks night and we used to buy two or three boxes of assorted fireworks with lots of variety and small fireworks. Nowadays there only seem to be large expensive offerings.

Although an organised display can be well done and enjoyable, the down side (as a pensioner) is the cost - not just the entrance fee but the inevitable food and beverage which with kids and grandkids can soon turn expensive.

Also I worry about mission creep - fireworks banned today and then what is banned next?!

Misterfish

marcros":ifucx2js said:
Jonzjob":ifucx2js said:

Just as well we're all different - I wouldn't bother to watch it if it were in my garden. Nor would my children. :)

n0legs":1ops3mey said:
On a more serious note, a state will ban fireworks but not ban guns :shock: The good old US of A :roll:

A gun can be used to save a life as well as take one.

artie":1h8ciayh said:
n0legs":1h8ciayh said:

Very true =D>
But in the States they're ending up in the wrong hands a bit too often.

n0legs":ixnlw6z3 said:
artie":ixnlw6z3 said:
n0legs":ixnlw6z3 said:

Very true =D>
But in the States they're ending up in the wrong hands a bit too often.
As are fireworks, apparently. :)

Latest posts

Back