Fireworks poll

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireworks

• Totally cool that anybody can buy and use them

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Organised displays are the only way to go

Votes: 42 68.9%

• Total voters
@jimmy-s:

OK, I stand corrected as far as UK is concerned (I haven't lived there for nigh on 40 years, and lived here for almost 25 now).

So, just for general info, the kind of fireworks the public can buy here look horrific to me (in the wrong hands that is). I've no idea how much explosive is in them, but some of the rockets are at least 3 or 4 inches in dia and on sticks about a metre or more long. They're great (I like fireworks) but as someone above already posted, the idea of them in the hands of a drunken yoof (for example), simply terrifies me. I must be getting old. When I was a kid in UK, fireworks were relatively tiddly little things.

Hence my vote for professional displays only. I guess I shouldn't have voted as a non-UK resident. Didn't mean to stir up any dissention.

Krgds
AES

thick_mike":2k939yvs said:
n0legs":2k939yvs said:
thick_mike":2k939yvs said:
I love explosions!

One of the reasons I love my current job (chemistry teacher) is that I get to blow things up fairly frequently. In this job, blowing something up is seen as a positive thing. In my old job (industrial chemist) not so much!

I've got a camper van :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Am I being groomed?

:lol:

Hell no, but I'll be Jesse and you could be Walt :D

Good discussion, daft poll, what's the best music- country or classical? You may select one option. :roll:

monkeybiter":2xuo7h7g said:
Good discussion, daft poll, what's the best music- country or classical? You may select one option. :roll:

Oh you little pipper Mike :lol:
Now you've gone and done it. Vivaldi, Bach and Strauss versus Williams, Rogers and Parton :shock:
Tough choice, I can't do it.

misterfish":33lyt1as said:
Although an organised display can be well done and enjoyable, the down side (as a pensioner) is the cost - not just the entrance fee but the inevitable food and beverage which with kids and grandkids can soon turn expensive.
Misterfish

I live in Purbeck, Dorset, lots of free displays in the area in the summer in Swanage and Wareham, beverages optional.

monkeybiter":3g651585 said:

Of course, it's a rhetorical device intended to stimulate discussion around a general point, which for the most part it's done. Your contribution on the other hand??? :roll:

Well if you're happy to categorise it that way then I'm sure that's fine, but a provocative phrase as the subject could have invited just the same interesting discussion without deliberately framing a complex subject as an essentially polarised issue, unless of course you were after some over-the-top reactionary posts.

Around the general point; my opinion is that fireworks of limited power should be available to all healthy adults, over a certain potency they should be controlled only by licensed individuals.

OK?

phil.p":39cvar9t said:
He deserves a "Darwin" award.

I'd like to try to keep it respectful but the above could not bet better put - I think the ability to buy fireworks should be available to all, and those too stupid to realise they have a bomb in their hands deserve what they get. If they are attending a private function and doubts regarding safety precautions arise and they don't leave or go indoors, then same thing.

I'm also still mindful of the horrific crash that took place a few years back on the motorway because of a "supervised display" that costs the lives of people not even attending, so the whole poll tbh is pretty moot.

rafezetter":1qb5wnns said:
phil.p":1qb5wnns said:

I'd like to try to keep it respectful but the above could not bet better put - I think the ability to buy fireworks should be available to all, and those too stupid to realise they have a bomb in their hands deserve what they get. If they are attending a private function and doubts regarding safety precautions arise and they don't leave or go indoors, then same thing.

I'm also still mindful of the horrific crash that took place a few years back on the motorway because of a "supervised display" that costs the lives of people not even attending, so the whole poll tbh is pretty moot.

Not true - the display operator was cleared of all charges. The main cause was attributed to dense fog, but as so often happens some people try to pin the blame on the display operators in the hope of getting an insurance claim.

I recall one operator who at the end of a display had someone come up with a rocket which they claimed had landed in their baby's pram kicking up a stink. The operator got their details and reported them to the police: No UK professional display operators would chance firing rockets as they are too dangerous.

rafezetter":vj7izsyz said:
phil.p":vj7izsyz said:

That doesn't address the all too possible case of an silly person harming others.

Consider the analogy of driving around on bald tyres.

BugBear

rafezetter":1n2hikzm said:
phil.p":1n2hikzm said:

Not so, according to this Coroners Report, April 2014, Makes interesting reading,---

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-somerset-27067020

Regards Rodders

bugbear":40nifwbx said:
rafezetter":40nifwbx said:
phil.p":40nifwbx said:

That doesn't address the all too possible case of an silly person harming others.

Consider the analogy of driving around on bald tyres.

BugBear

A fair analogy, although on a sound, dry surface, a bald tyre has more surface area in contact with the road, and consequently more grip, than a 'treaded' tyre. Treads are really a compromise, to enable one tyre-type to be used on public roads, in varying weather conditions.

Purely coincidence - someone sent me this. It was new to me, hope those that like fireworks displays will enjoy:

This Hunan Province town is where fireworks were invented and the show has never been equalled in the West. Less than 2 minutes in length but with shapes that you've never seen before.

http://www.youtube.com/embed/_LpMB1OZ53 ... autoplay=1

(You may have to cut and paste it into Youtube direct - it doesn't always seem to work automatically here, I don't know why).

AES

I think you will find that's been created with a simulation package. Many of the larger displays are designed on these and synced to music etc.

Most of those simulations are of Japanese shells such as the ghost shells you see where the stars that make up the shellburst seem to move across the sphere.

Here's a bit of theoretic science folks! This is my theory on firework patterns.

I know some effects are achieved through placement of the various explosives in the rocket, but it has always been 'theory' as to why the stars form a ball, regardless of the observer's position in relation to the explosion.

When we see a firework explode into a ball of 'stars', we are just seeing an optical illusion, due to perspective. Just as you do with meteorites (Shooing stars). With a firework display, there was, until quite recently, no explanation as to why we see what we see, wherever we are standing. In the case of a meteorite shower the effect is very similar. One lone meteorite seems to angle across the sky, but in fact it is coming towards you. When a number of them hit the atmosphere, all originating from the same area, you see the perspective effect, and they appear to radiate towards you. The same goes for a rocket explosion. When the rocket explodes the sparks are sent in all directions from the point of the explosion, and travel in straight, parallel lines. So, from wherever you happen to be, as you look up, they appear to come towards you, and the perspective effect comes into play. You see them radiating outwards, into a 'ball' of stars.

If you doubt what I say, no problem. It's only my theory. But watching a display, as an explosion dies, the 'stars' seem to slow down; as they must do, and arc to the ground. That's when you can see what caused the illusion of a ball. In reality the 'stars' are moving away in all directions, from the point of explosion. As they slow down, and fade, you can see the effect for what it is. A trick of the light on the eye.

Okay folks, back to woodworking. :lol:

rafezetter":mxq085mx said:
I'd like to try to keep it respectful but the above could not bet better put - I think the ability to buy fireworks should be available to all, and those too stupid to realise they have a bomb in their hands deserve what they get.

To say that someone deserves to be maimed or killed and their families left bereaved simply because they don't appreciate the dangers of a firework seems disproportionate to me.

Back