Fireworks poll

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fireworks

• Totally cool that anybody can buy and use them

Votes: 19 31.1%
  • Organised displays are the only way to go

Votes: 42 68.9%

• Total voters
Not all shells burst in a sphere, traditional Italian shells are made as cannisters and are often assembled end on end in multiple breaks as are many of the Maltese shells. The advantage of these is that each break can consist of further shells or inserts as is the case with this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuOY71oPIlg

Spherical shaped shells seem to originate from China and Japan. The spherical shells are often bulk filled up to about 4" diameter, by that I mean the burst charge and stars are just jumbled together. These do not burst truly spherical but due to the confinement or power of the burst charge used they offer a fair approximation of a sphere. On larger shells the stars are normally individually placed around the periphery of the shell casing and the burst charge maintained in the centre by tissue otherwise they will not break in a sphere. Some of the larger shells will have multiple "petals" or layers of stars with a central burst charge.

When I was in America Disney had ones that did smiley faces.

Pete

Racers":389sn199 said:
When I was in America Disney had ones that did smiley faces.

Pete

Yes - they lay the stars out in the pattern they want - normally weakly glued to a bit of cardboard most of the filling in those shells are inert using corn husks or rice hulls to fill the space. The shell bursts following the shape laid out with the stars furthest from the centre travelling further. Normally they fire quite a few at once as you can't guarantee the orientation they will break.

I thought as much, some where upside down etc.

Pete

One point not mentioned which we've noticed on TV when London's seen the new year in with fireworks is the pollution. The amount of smoke seen wafting over the crowd would have given my Wife an asthma attack if she'd been there!

Actual pollution levels from fireworks are low - plenty of tests carried out on increases of nitrate levels and perchlorate levels in the states particularity. If you are referring to smoke levels the extent of smoke depends a lot on the material being used. Ariel stuff does not normally produce much low level smoke - only the smoke from black powder lift charge from mortars. Mortars are unlikely to be any closer than 100m to the public however for a 4" mortar.

Smoke from other fireworks can be quite high but it depends on the compositions - ammonium perchlorate compositions tend to produce very little smoke but may not be available to the company firing the display. I think Kimbolton Fireworks used to do that display but in the last few years another company may have fired it.

If compositions based around the use of ammonium perchlorate are used as opposed to nitrate based oxidisers smoke production can be minimised. Kimbolton as manufacturers could allow for this and manufacture product suited whereas those using stuff from china may not be able to.

As much as I like fireworks - I can understand how they get banned in some places - some people do the most ridiculous things with them. How this guy ever thought his sphincter was ever going to let go of the stick once the thing developed full thrust is beyond me.

You have all probably seen this before:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB51ooHaq74

Personally, I hadn't seen that before Jimmy, though it's pretty similar to things I've heard of before, and one "silly boy" I witnessed once. As said, when I voted in favour of a ban, I don't mind do much if "people" are silly enough to injure only themselves, but one hears of others - "innocent bystanders" - getting injured as well.

Also as previously posted, I'm not at all up to speed with what's available on open sale to the public in UK these days, but our big day for fireworks, 1st August, is still 10 days away as I write, and already more and more fireworks - big bangs some of 'em - are now being heard every day/evening. It will only increase as we get nearer "the" day - and this despite the fact that officially, fireworks are only on sale from 28th July onwards, and only to the over 16s.

I sound like and miserable old git I know, but overall it does seem to me that here anyway, the only way to ensure a reasonably peaceful and safe summer evening is to ban open sales altogether, despite the fact that it's no doubt just a minority of firework buyers who act daft with them.

My take FWIW.

AES

Latest posts

Back