Fire engine bed WIP

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the finishing room I started with some white primer. The customer came out and could not believe what he saw! "DADDY!!! why are you painting it WHITE???? It's a FIRE ENGINE! Fire engines are RED!!!!! :lol:

DSC_2265.JPG

Then a coat of red enamel paint:

DSC_2266.JPG

We found that the "Red" paint was nowhere close to real fire engine red, so we had to go shopping for a new color for the second coat. This is called "Rich Red":

DSC_2273.JPG

While waiting for the paint to dry, I started to fit some internal details:

DSC_2269.JPG

I think the customer looks very happy, and now the WIP is up to date with the real status for the project. I'll have to make the dashboard before I can disassemble the rest of the body and get some paint on that too.

Great job youre doing there mate :D

In one of those photos there is a bosch barrel grip jigsaw how do you get on with it and what model is that one ?

Even though I have 3 bosch jigsaws I was thinking of getting the barrel grip as I have heard they are better for upside down use. Is yours the one on the left below these look more solid than the one on the right but Im not sure if the left one is available in the UK.

1591lead382x400.jpg
gst150ce.jpg

chippy1970":3etgglqo said:

In one of those photos there is a bosch barrel grip jigsaw how do you get on with it and what model is that one ?

I got the GST 135 CE Professional, and after that I've killed a few cheap jigsaws I think this will outlast me! Great quality build, lots of power and the "precision control" really helps keeping the blade straight.

I also feel that the barrel grip gives me a really good control over the tool, both the normal way and upside down.

Mekkemikkel":1j0ks047 said:
chippy1970":1j0ks047 said:

I got the GST 135 CE Professional, and after that I've killed a few cheap jigsaws I think this will outlast me! Great quality build, lots of power and the "precision control" really helps keeping the blade straight.

I also feel that the barrel grip gives me a really good control over the tool, both the normal way and upside down.

Cheers I have used the d grip version of your saw, My main Bosch is the pro one but the cheap pro one with pressed steel base and no extraction. I have another old pressed steel pro one and a battery bosch with cast base.

I would get the new Festool but its just too much for a jigsaw :lol:

Acanthus":npa0d2dj said:
Whoever has seen a fire engine without an escape ladder?

Ah, the good old escape ladders..... I was on the last recruit course in the country to be trained on escape ladders.

It would have been a fab sight to have as a bed, but I'd imagine it'd be a nightmare to design and fit. Nothing wrong with the Dennis - every fire engine should be a Dennis (shame they went bust)!

Steve

I remember using wheeled escapes for a year or two until they all disappeared from service. I believe London were the last to have them on the run.
Brilliant ladders but hardly well suited to streets full of parked cars!
There's nothing that works as well in terms of stability and strength.

Hook ladders, though. I miss them too!

SF

you've obviousely thought of this but it does fit through the doors in your house? and you can get it up the stairs?

:D

Fantastic design and build - as always with your WIPs. But is the client trying to tell you something that you are desperate to ignore? - look at his T shirt. That sure is a London Bus draped across his tummy. I think that we all know that there is some confusion here.

Wow - lucky child!

Your paint room - what's the set up in terms of extraction\filters\etc.? There looks to be extraction at the top?

Cheers

Dibs

Shadowfax":3b592ppd said:
I believe London were the last to have them on the run.
... Hook ladders, though. I miss them too!

Hertfordshire were the last brigade to run them. Circa 1993/4 when the last four were retired - whilst I was at Stevenage (with one of them).

Hook ladders - I'm sure they were useful [to a point], but I'm glad I didn't use them. 35metre Bronto ALP was more than adequate for higher floors.

I forgot to say in my earlier post what a stunning job this build is...also a great job with the paint colour matching, although the John Dennis website (looks like they didn't go bust!?) states the colour to be Post Office Red (BS381c538) so you may be able to get an even closer match (the one you have looks very good tho).

Steve

Ok, where was I?

With the paint drying, I started to make the dashboard:

DSC_2287.JPG

DSC_2281.JPG

DSC_2282.JPG

DSC_2284.JPG

And i did get some help from the customer with the black paint job:

DSC_2307.JPG

While I made some decorations:

DSC_2308.JPG

DSC_2309.JPG

DSC_2310.JPG

Next up I had to start a wheel-factory!

First i printed a template on thick paper:

DSC_2311.JPG

Then my router started to go round and round and round...... (lots of pictures!)

DSC_2312.JPG

DSC_2313.JPG

DSC_2314.JPG

DSC_2315.JPG

DSC_2316.JPG

DSC_2317.JPG

DSC_2318.JPG

DSC_2320.JPG

DSC_2321.JPG

DSC_2322.JPG

DSC_2323.JPG

DSC_2324.JPG

DSC_2328.JPG

DSC_2329.JPG

And finally it was time to finish some details:

DSC_2327.JPG

110 is the Norwegian emergency number for fires!

DSC_2330.JPG

DSC_2331.JPG

DSC_2332.JPG

DSC_2333.JPG

DSC_2334.JPG

Two days before his birthday i finally could carry all the bits and pieces in to the customers room and assemble this:

DSC_2340.JPG

DSC_2346.JPG

DSC_2347.JPG

DSC_2342.JPG

DSC_2341.JPG

(and NO i'ts NOT a London bus!) :lol:

Good grief! That's brilliant, a real labour of love.

I specially like your use of real bits for the steering and dashboard. Have you wired up a battery and a real horn?

That's one lucky boy!!!

I am totally speechless, excellent attention to detail and fantastic masking with the painting, I've tried masking like this in the past and it really is not easy!!!!

Well done

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Richard

Back