Finishing Oil Help Required!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike B

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am in the middle of refinishing a beech counter top with Liberon Finishing Oil. The top was previously finished with Linseed Oil. This was sanded down to the bare wood and then the Liberon applied.

The first two coats went well - the finishing oil soaked in nicely with the excess wiped off after 10 mins or so and only a quick denib with a grey Scotchbrite required between coats.

Trying to build the finish up a bit I added a third coat, only this time the oil did not soak in (I'm assuming the wood was pretty much sealed by now) and dried to a "tacky" state really quickly - I had trouble wiping the excess off even after only a couple of minutes. Maybe too much oil?? Or the hot weather??

Anyway, this coat has taken nearly two days to dry and has left a slightly rough to the touch glossy surface (collected some dust as I had the windows open). SWMBO hates the shine (luckily) so out with some elbow grease and the Scotchbrite and I now have a smooth matt surface :)

Question is what to do now, as the surface whilst looking great, shows every last finger mark??

Should I give it a light coat of wax?? (looks like it needs it but might this cause issues if and when we want to re-oil it in future??)

Just leave it to build up a finger mark "patina"??

Another light coat of finishing oil?? (bit nervous here as the last coat did not go to plan...)

Any suggestions much appreciated. And who said it was impossible to screw up when using Finishing Oil... :?

thanks

Mike (the Finishing Oil Dummy)

Mike
Apply another fine coat of finishing oil, using a rubber (a tightly folded piece of rag should be fine). Wipe on a fine layer, rubbing it in until you need to add a little more oil. This will slightly disolve the last coat of oil and leaves you a very nice finish. Then give it a day or two for it to cure.
Hope this helps (and fear not the finishing :wink: )
Philly :D
Who has been there......

Latest posts

Back